Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If you could give one piece of advice to an incoming 1L,....  (Read 8895 times)

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
Re: If you could give one piece of advice to an incoming 1L,....
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 11:47:00 PM »
Jeez,  could we get more down?  I'm always surprised by how negative these websites are... Did you think law school would be like drinking unicorn giggles? It's hard work, but if you enjoy applying yourself to a task, then you'll enjoy this.  I've never worked so hard in my life, but I also feel more fulfilled than ever before.

Of course, there are many people who dislike law school and wish they had never gone there.  I guess my one piece of advice would be to work for a couple years and realize what the real world is like. I worked for five years and was getting nowhere with my History degree.  Now I have so many career options, it is amazing.  I also enjoy the freedom in law school.  If I want to do laundry or take a nap or workout or watch a movie at 2:00 in the afternoon and study later, I can do it.

My studying advice (from someone in the top 10%) is this:
-Review each class afterward to figure out what you were supposed to learn in that class period.
-Start outlining early.
-Learn to write a law school exam (take a class or read a book on the subject.)
-Don't freak out!
-Don't take all these negative people's advice to heart, everyone will have a different viewpoint and you might just like law school.

Good luck!

There are about 240 1L's at Northwestern and I've met 3 who don't seem to enjoy it here.

majorporcupine

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2006, 01:27:19 AM »
Also, to all you 1Ls out there: please stop sleeping with my girlfriend.  It really bothers me, especially around 3:47 in the afternoon.

majorporcupine

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2006, 01:30:08 AM »
1) Congratulate yourself after making any observation, especially ones that are extremely obvious. Give yourself the highest grade at your institution (e.g., "High Honors"/ "A+"/etc.).

2) As a 1L, casually begin any comments, inside or outside of class, with "As I will explain in my upcoming law review article..."

3) Have a framed picture of your prof on the desk. Occasionally stroke it.

4) Keep a small action figure on a miniature gallows. When a classmate contradicts you, stare at them and drop the trapdoor repeatedly.

5) Tape record yourself snickering. While classmates are getting hit with Socratic, hit the play button, but continue taking notes and giving encouraging smiles to the hapless victim.

6) If students leave the room for bathroom breaks or anything else, interrupt the professor to let everyone know you found that behavior disruptive.

7) Finally, when called on for questions, stand (you're obviously sitting front and center), walk up to the professor's podium and proceed to orate from there.

This post, along with your name, puts you on you way to being one of the funniest posters on LSD. Laughed my ass off... Especaially #5

Thank you.  I apologize for any medical injuries you may have sustained while laughing your ass.  However, I assume no liability for said loss of posterior.

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2006, 01:58:06 AM »
ok law girl i thought your post was hilarious. i have never heard anyone say the phrase "like drinking unicorn giggles."
Attending: OU

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2006, 06:45:48 AM »
Do not be so concerned about whether you will like law school. It's whether you want to be a lawyer.  Lots and lots of students hate law school. It doesn't mean they shouldn't be there.

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2006, 01:02:36 PM »
Two pieces of advice:

1) Outline early. Don't wait until the last minute or you'll have more work to do than you want to.

2) Expect that by the middle of the semester you'll hate everybody and everything ... but it will get better.

Also, I don't recall who said what, but I agree with the statement that there is nothing like doing well on a writing assignment for LS. In fact, I found that it was only seconded by turning the assignment in. I can't tell you the number of times I started worrying about a paper that was due the next week, not even understanding the topic or how to start it, and then feeling incredible when I was finished with it. It is ten thousand more times rewarding than anything you write in undergrad.

I also agree that you need to be there for the intellectual challenge. Those who only go to LS for money later (unfortunately, this appears to be the majority) seem to complain the most about the amount of work. You can tell who wants to be there and who just wants the firm job.

silvercannonca

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2006, 03:46:17 PM »
The key to grades is the exam, it is not being able to answer questions in class so don't knock yourself out to brown nose in class, just do practice exams before the test.  other than that, go have fun on the weekends. 

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2006, 07:52:52 PM »

My studying advice (from someone in the top 10%) is this:
-Review each class afterward to figure out what you were supposed to learn in that class period.
-Start outlining early.
-Learn to write a law school exam (take a class or read a book on the subject.)
-Don't freak out!
-Don't take all these negative people's advice to heart, everyone will have a different viewpoint and you might just like law school.

Good luck!

Learn what's right for you, coming from someone in the top 10 who didn't do ANY of these except not freak out (and take bad advice to heart).  However, since you don't know whether or not law school will come naturally, MidWest's advice might be the best way to go, even if it makes your semester a lot more hellish ;)
Don't Panic

majorporcupine

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2006, 06:12:04 PM »
The key to exams is to remember: there are no grades.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 11:09:46 PM »
You know it really really depends-almost none of the advice here applies to me.  Coming from undergrad I barely did anywork, my first semester I put in maybe a hour a day in of studying outside class, this sememster my second I have more than doubled that.  If you are at like me, my advice is to open the books, just cause its the weekend doesn't mean your backpack with your books in it goes under the bed.
 Also I think I was a little nervous about my first semester and that made me even lazier cause I just wanted to put off school-relax, law school isn't that hard, this semester I more relaxed and I am actually studying more (probably about 2.5 times as much), I feel more confident in myself and don't want to put off school as much and I actually take a little pride in my performance inside the classroom.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School