Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Crossing Over from 1L to Grad School  (Read 640 times)

1sweetworld4136

• View Profile
Crossing Over from 1L to Grad School
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:55:05 AM »
Anyone tried this?  Know of anyone who has done this? 

I have given a great deal of consideration to this matter, and I am extremely close to putting in a grad school app at my alma mater for the Ph.D Program in my undergrad major (political science).  This is in addition to law school transfer apps.  I just can't stand it here.  This is the worst location on the face of the earth for human existance, much less for a law school, bar none.  Now I know what some will say -- stop whining, get it done, etc.  I am.  I've sucked it up for the time being..and resolved to finish 1L.  I'm doing fairly well in the substantive material, but it bores more to near death.  My therapist agrees that I need a change of place.  Since myself and my therapist have me convinced that my depression will be cured after a change of venue, I suppose it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.  I wish I knew. 

Two questions:  Would I still need to take the GRE or would some schools waive it on a totality of the circumstances approach? 

Second, what are everyone's opinions on approaching a professor out of the blue for a letter of recommendation for this purpose?  Do you think they would be more forthcoming in producing one than, say, if you were going to transfer to another law school?  I don't even have an ice breaker -- I volunteer alot and ask questions of my professors, but I've never developed an office hours type of relationship with them on a one-on-one basis.  Perhaps it's time to start sucking up?

Thanks in advance.  And yes, it's 2am...I haven't slept a full 8 hours in nearly three months.  I'm on EVERYTHING for sleep and acid reflux, which has developed since I've been here, but it just doesn't cut it.  If I stay here, it could be at significant cost to my health.  Even my MD agrees -- I'm mentally and physically depressed.  Oye Vei!

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act.

~George Orwell

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King, Jr

lalala

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Crossing Over from 1L to Grad School
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 08:09:58 AM »
Just a quick question...

You mentioned in another thread that you're expecting a baby (congratulations!  :D), and that your fiance lives in another city.  Would it be possible for you to take a leave of absence -- take a year off, move to the same city as your fiance, have your baby, etc. -- and then go back to law school, hopefully with your fiance being able to move back to [Bad City] with you at the end of the year?  Of course thatdoes presuppose that you would be happy in that city if your fiance were there.

As for applying to grad school programs, I do think you'd need to take the GRE.

BigRedWarEagle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 09:26:59 AM »
Sounds like you're in Houston!

You will almost definitely have to take the GRE if you want to cross over.  Congratulations on making a tough decision...remember that life is not a strict one-way road.  If you made a mistake, just take the next turn and see where it leads you.

Life: The ultimate choose-your-own-adventure book!
You are not your job.

Apples52

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 02:53:55 PM »
Hi!

I am in the process of investigating the same thing. Upon speaking to some representatives of various master's programs, some schools will waive the GRE requirement given you have an acceptable LSAT score while others will not. It depends upon the school.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 02:58:58 PM »
I wouldn't give up on law school completley until you have gvien it a shot in a city you enjoy. You said you are putting in transfer apps, are you not?

And if you are, as another poster said, pregnant and living in a different city from your fiance, let alone one you hate anyway, that is more than enough justification to transfer and no professor should be hung up about giving you a rec based on those reasons.

I agree that it is mentally better for you to be in a location you enjoy and to be with your fiance (presuming that city is one and the same)

Your health isn't worth a bad city in a screwed up state.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality