Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: hey does anyone have any advice on how to get off a waitlist  (Read 924 times)

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
hey does anyone have any advice on how to get off a waitlist
« on: February 23, 2006, 05:52:10 PM »
i would love to jump off of gw's waitlist? it looks like my numbers are similar to most people on the waitlist. Did any of u get off a waitlist last year. I already sent them my updated transcript along with a letter of continuing interest.
Attending: OU

elemnopee

• View Profile
Re: hey does anyone have any advice on how to get off a waitlist
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 02:15:16 PM »
Seduce the Dean of Admissions.

I got phonecalls from two schools I was waitlisted at during my school's orientation week.

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 12:09:37 AM »
really were u tempted to leave? i would really like to move to whatever city my law school is in so i can get a job and work full time befor school. i guess i could just break my lease and pay the extra months rent that most apartment complexes charge if u bounce early. i have another problem in that i am in the army and would really like to find a good unit befor i get to caught up in school

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 10:50:37 AM »
The best way to get off the waitlist is to get accepted or rejected.

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 09:36:50 PM »
since you are in the army, just use your gun

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 10:51:16 PM »
In an attempt to expand upon the advice already given... I would hazard a guess that withdrawing your application would be one of the most effective ways to get off the waitlist. Alternatively, you can send in another application.  This is an effective way to circumvent the wait list, because although you are technically still on the waitlist... you are off it as well.  At least until they realize that they don't want your second application either and place that on the waitlist. 
pudding is delightful

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 10:54:39 PM »
call them and ask if you can enter PT. they will probably let you.

unless you got in to another top 30 school, then go there instead.
GW

majorporcupine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 01:30:43 AM »
Withdraw.  I guarantee you won't be on the waitlist any more.

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 01:54:24 AM »
thanks for all the advice. i didnt see the whole withdraw thing coming. very clever.  Ok nate u just blew my mind. do u think they would do that. I wonder if that is a good idea. i heard u can switch to full time after the first semester. should i consider that. right now its looking like ill be going to OU law. it will be cheap since im in state but i dont think its on the level of gw.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 12:17:20 PM »
verbal-

i think there's a good chance they would. if you think it would help (which i think it might) you could always stretch the truth and say that you have a possibility for a job this fall, and that you would like to be considered as waitlist for the PT program. if they allowed that, you would probably get in without a problem. and it wouldn't hurt to try- worst case scenario you stay where you are on the FT waitlist.

i entered GW PT and transferred to FT this semester. out of the 120 people who started PT, about half switched to FT after the first semester. a lot of people decide they can't take working and going to school for 4 years, and others enter with no job at all, intending to switch from the beginning.

as far as it being "good", i can't entirely say. as far as i can honestly tell (from talking to upper-level students, guidance counsellers, professors, etc.), it doesn't have as much as a negative effect as most people would think. people who started PT and switched to FT still get plenty of jobs at OCI, clerkships, good summer internships, etc. i was in a position similar to yours- my choice was between GW PT and a school ranked somewhere around where OU is. at first i was hesitant to go PT, but now i'm happy i did. even though some people on these law school message boards might give you crap for using the "backdoor" in to a T20 school, that's about as bad as it gets. you'll still have your own section (with other people who switch to FT) with whom you'll graduate in 3 years, just like those who start FT do with their sections; the only difference is that you'll be 2 classes behind after first semester and will have to take some credits over the summer (which is very easy and can be done in a variety of ways). and of course, when taking in to account the opportunities GW will offer you that a place like OU might not, i honestly think that alone is worth it.

but if you were waitlisted at GW, i'm assuming your numbers are fairly competetive. have you considered applying to GULC PT? i think they're still taking applications online until March 1, so you'd have to rush. still, their PT admit stats aren't much different from GW's, and while you can't switch until second year, it's also very easy to do and you'd be in an even better position than you would at GW.

let me know if you have any other questions.
GW