Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring Due to Hardship/Retaking the LSAT  (Read 1189 times)

1sweetworld4136

• View Profile
Transferring Due to Hardship/Retaking the LSAT
« on: February 23, 2006, 03:50:31 PM »
Two questions, all advice or comments appreciated:

1.  I need to get out of the law school that I am currently at, but my grades are lackluster.  There is also a vicious curve mean of 2.5, meaning that the average student will have a 2.5 GPA.  I did considerably worse than the average student during the first semester, and hope to have about an average grade after this semester.  In the gestalt, I doubt I will be able to transfer on merits alone.  To cut to the chase, my first question is:  Should I retake the LSAT in June to improve my chances of acceptance to the law school?  Any subsequent LSDAS report reflecting the updated results would be released very close to the time that the admissions committee at that school would make their determination, if at all by that time.

2.  I also would like to claim hardship.  Would this be a valid factor in the admissions committee's determination?  Has anyone ever done this?  Specifically, I am clinically depressed at this location.  I have two professionals who are prepared to submit affidavits to that effect.  I also have a child on the way and am engaged to someone living closer to that school.  Finally, financial hardship would be my last claim -- although that is probably the weaker of the three.  If this is a valid factor, should I submit it as an addendum if there is no applicable question on the application, or should I reflect this is my personal statement absent guidelines to the contrary?  Thanks for your advice, and if anyone has ever attempted this, please share.
In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act.

~George Orwell

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King, Jr

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring Due to Hardship/Retaking the LSAT
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 05:57:32 PM »
Retaking the LSAT likely won't matter/help for transfering.  I doubt schools will even look at it.  The reason for this is that schools don't have to report transfer students' LSAT scores for the rankings, so they don't care as much.  Another reason is that the LSAT/undergrad GPA combo is supposed to help in forecasting how well you'll do in law school.  When you're looking to transfer, you'll have a year of law school under your belt.  School won't have to predict how you'll do, they'll look to see how you've done. 

Not sure about anything else, so I can't say.  Good luck trying to figure everything out.  Try your best to get your grades up; go talk to your professors you had last semester and figure out where you went wrong, and try to figure out how to make your studying more efficient.  (but I'm sure you've heard all that before...)  Best of luck.

Brisco

• View Profile
Re: Transferring Due to Hardship/Retaking the LSAT
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 07:25:05 PM »
Good luck but it doesn't look good. Transferring for hardship reasons is a hard sell because any school will want to see that you are someone who is a good student who will stick with the program.

If you can't cope with your current school and are having personal/financial differences, they are probably not going to want to give you one of their limited spots and have you drop out/fail to pay tuition.

Hardship helps for getting into law schools only because it shows you overcame something and that you can deal with stress etc.