Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .....  (Read 1081 times)

• View Profile
« on: February 22, 2006, 11:09:28 AM »

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: California schools that favour G.P.A....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 07:24:16 PM »
The primary thing they look at is spelling "favor" without the "u"
Air Force JAG Corps

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 07:50:54 PM »
The primary thing they look at is spelling "favor" without the "u"

I doubt they'd fault him for speaking (writing?) the Queen's English...
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 11:30:36 AM »
That is actually a good question. In that it isn't "proper" American spelled English, could that be a detriment in school/job apps?

This is of course assuming he is from the UK, otherwise it is just pretentious and irritating.

Maybe you could get away with adding an "e" to everything as well. Olde English Shoppe.
Air Force JAG Corps

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 02:02:13 AM »
You'd probably get more helpful responses from the pre-law board. They're into analyzing all of this stuff. Besides, just b/c we currently attend law school does not make us experts on what CA schools will want a stronger GPA v. LSAT.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 01:27:42 PM »
That is actually a good question. In that it isn't "proper" American spelled English, could that be a detriment in school/job apps?

This is of course assuming he is from the UK, otherwise it is just pretentious and irritating.

Maybe you could get away with adding an "e" to everything as well. Olde English Shoppe.

Not necessarily from the UK; just from a place where the school system is based on the British model, as with former or current members of the British Commonwealth.  I had many friends from Jamaica who were used to spelling tire (those things you put on cars) t-y-r-e, and jail as g-a-o-l.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

bigfatbox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 04:47:32 PM »
What is your average practice LSAT score? subtract 2-6 points from that to get a better idea of what your real LSAT score will be. I am assuming you took the practice tests under strict timed conditions as per the instructions in the booklet.

As you may know, California is a highly desirable place to go to school, so the most competitive schools there can pick and choose from a pool of *highly* qualified applicants to choose from.

Getting a full ride at a respectable California school will be tough, even some of the lower ranked ones have median LSAT scores in the low 160s. You would probably need to be way over the median and 75% in order to receive a full ride.

Another thing you should be aware of is that California has one of the toughest bar exams in the U.S. The first time passage rate is 63%. If you are interested in a specific school, take a look at their bar passage rate for the last couple of years.

If you are really serious about attending an American law school, I highly recommend you look beyond California. There are many places in the U.S. that will be fine places to live, have great law schools, and will be less competitive to get into and receive merit aid money at.

You may or may not get some preference for being an international student.

check out these websites:

http://officialguide.lsac.org/docs/cgi-bin/home.asp

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

http://www.chiashu.com

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 12:12:47 AM »
Actually, all of the California publics weight GPA heavily compared to other schools of their caliber.  That's not to say they weight it more than the LSAT, but LSAT's slightly less important.  I'd say you have a shot at UCLA with a 4.0/160, although you aren't going to get anything close to a full ride.  Better shot at Hastings or Davis.

For a full scholarship, I think you'd be looking more in the neighborhood of third or even fourth tier schools. 

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 08:59:08 AM »
I'd seriously consider taking the LSAT again.  How much did you study for it the first time?  Would you have additional study aids/practice available this time?  I think that if you brought your score up to a 165, you'd be a lot more competitive for scholarships at some of the 2nd tier schools. 

Why is it that you can't attend unless you get a full scholarship?  Are there barriers to taking out loans as an international student?  I guess it would make sense if you couldn't take out federal loans, but no private loans either?  I'm not very familiar with the process.