Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring to a high Tier 1 from a low Tier 1  (Read 2227 times)

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
Transferring to a high Tier 1 from a low Tier 1
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:57:27 PM »
So I currently go to a low ranked Tier 1 on the east coast and am seriously considering going back to California.  I like my school but the more I think about it longterm I want a job in California.  I'm currently in about the top quarter of my class (and just didn't make moot court boo!) what are my chances of making it into UCLA or USC?  Is there really any point in trying.  I'm debating whether to study abroad this summer and if I did I couldn't transfer so I'm trying to decide what to do.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

avoidantpd

• View Profile
Re: Transferring to a high Tier 1 from a low Tier 1
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 05:58:45 AM »
I have a friend who is in a similar situation.  He's in the top 3rd or so of his class at UF and wants to try and transfer to either George Washington or Georgetown (more of a long shot).  Does anyone know what his chances might be (i.e. if he has a shot at all)?

beefeater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 11:50:24 AM »
Top 1/3 will not cut it no matter what school your friend is transferring from.  To transfer into G'town you need to be at least top 15%.  To transfer from UF, I would say top 5% to even have a chance.

PeteDoherty

• What became of the likely lads?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 12:08:13 PM »
So I currently go to a low ranked Tier 1 on the east coast and am seriously considering going back to California.  I like my school but the more I think about it longterm I want a job in California.  I'm currently in about the top quarter of my class (and just didn't make moot court boo!) what are my chances of making it into UCLA or USC?  Is there really any point in trying.  I'm debating whether to study abroad this summer and if I did I couldn't transfer so I'm trying to decide what to do.

I really would like to know why one cannot do both a summer study abroad and transfer to a different law school?

FYI: From what I hear USC practically does not take any transfer applicants while to get in at UCLA would depend on where you school is ranked (by lower tier 1, do you mean closer to the 100s or the 50s?). If you are closer to the 100s then you would probably need to be in at least 10%.
When she wakes up in the morning..she writes down all her dreams.

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 06:00:03 PM »

I really would like to know why one cannot do both a summer study abroad and transfer to a different law school?

FYI: From what I hear USC practically does not take any transfer applicants while to get in at UCLA would depend on where you school is ranked (by lower tier 1, do you mean closer to the 100s or the 50s?). If you are closer to the 100s then you would probably need to be in at least 10%.

Basically I can't do a study abroad because that would be too many credits to transfer, I'd essentially be throwing away all the money I'd have to pay for the summer study abroad.  I also think there would be other complications with accepting to the other school and dropping out of my school.  My school is in the 40's.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

PeteDoherty

• What became of the likely lads?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 03:37:06 PM »
You might as well give it a shot and go on the study abroad...
if you do get into ucla/usc you can take out a loan or makeup for it the followin g summer with a big law job in CA.
Best of luck!
When she wakes up in the morning..she writes down all her dreams.