Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Let's beat this dead horse once more  (Read 956 times)

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
Let's beat this dead horse once more
« on: February 20, 2006, 08:05:20 PM »
Posting on here about "chances of transferring" or "advice" seems as useful as a 3rd nipple but it feels good to get some feedback from peers whether positive or negative. I received my unofficial ranking as a first year PT student and I am toying with the idea of transferring. My grades were Contracts (A), Torts (A-), LRW (B-) and Crim (B+). That gives me a 3.43 gpa and puts me in the top 20% of my class. My school only ranks in blocks of 10% so I can't tell you if I'm in the 10.1% or 20% and sadly enough, I'll never know. I want to shoot for GULC PT mainly because if I were to transfer I would only leave my school for a really good out of state school or a good regional school in California. The only top schools I know with PT programs are GULC and GW. GULC has Early Action Apps for transfer students so I was considering sending in an App for EA. Now to my real question...I know top 20% is not strong enough for GULC PT but should I apply anyway as EA with only Fall semester grades or wait until end of spring and hope to make it to top 10% and then apply? The problem with waiting until the spring is that seats get filled from all the EA apps. Any suggestions?

P.S. I attend at T3 in Cali and I do not have a compelling reason for wanting to transfer to GULC other than the fact that I'd love to live in DC and the school would open more doors for me. I ultimately want to work in academia and knowing how competitive that can be I would rather have a T1 on my resume than a T3.

Peace
shine on

Brisco

• View Profile
Re: Let's beat this dead horse once more
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 09:39:46 PM »
That's a PT curriculum? 3 classes and legal writing is full time first semester at a lot of schools (GULC included). Top 20% wouldn't give you a chance but if you don't mind spending the $75 fee then no one's going to stop you.

Bobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 10:01:53 PM »
Yahoo Has a group called "transferapps Law Students Attempting to Transfer" that compliles info on transferring.  You should check it out.

There were 4 southwestern people who were Top 10%, none of them got into g-town. One got into vandy and WUSTL, another into UCLA and another into USC.  One did get rejected by G-Town.

You should join and check it out.

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »
ya, 4 classes plus legal research first semester. Our full time program has 6 classes plus research! The amount of work is intense but I thought that how most schools were. I checked out transferapps and I guess things don't seem to hopeful for me. I wonder...sine the schools I apply to only have one semester of grades to look at, if they don't accept me EA would they defer me and wait to see how second semester grades are before a flat out rejection?
shine on