Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does age limit law career options?  (Read 16964 times)

Pittman2

• View Profile
Does age limit law career options?
« on: February 20, 2006, 03:10:57 PM »
Is anyone aware of any limiting conditions imposed on older-than normal law school graduates because of their age? For example, if one graduates from law school at age 29, do you know if one's age would in any way limit one's professional options (i.e. private practice, professorship, clerkship, public interest law)?

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
Re: Does age limit law career options?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 03:42:29 PM »
Is anyone aware of any limiting conditions imposed on older-than normal law school graduates because of their age? For example, if one graduates from law school at age 29, do you know if one's age would in any way limit one's professional options (i.e. private practice, professorship, clerkship, public interest law)?

I'll graduate at 30 and I asked this same question in the judicial clerkship context.  The people I talked to - who were all former clerks themselves - said it could only be beneficial, from a maturity and experience perspective.  Not sure how firms feel about hiring us old people as new associates.  There's probably some perception that we're less willing to work in sweatshop conditions for 5 years.  And I suspect there are some firms that want that - as many mindless drones with as much "productivity" as they can milk out of them, and other firms that actually want first year associates with the potential to take on more responsiblity sooner. 

amityjo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 02:57:45 PM »
I'll be 35 when I graduate, and I had no problem getting a BigLaw job.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 03:14:52 PM »
Since when was 29 an older than average age to graduate law school? Isn't that about exactly the average?

dsnutter

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 03:38:40 PM »
If you are over 35 you cant go into JAG, I believe.

RenaldoBalkman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 01:38:27 AM »
what if you are over 45 and have grey hair or balding? 

TheSunDevil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 08:48:35 AM »
what if you are over 45 and have grey hair or balding? 

They probably already have a steady career and a JD likely only acts as a supplement or increases their job responsibilities in an active career. I doubt many at that age participate in the rat race of finding their first law job or at least finding a position with a large amount of responsibility. Otherwise I'm sure there is some fine small firm out there that doesn't care how old you are. 

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 09:33:02 PM »
I know a partner at a local small firm who was a shipbuilder until 40, then went to law school and now runs a small-town firm.

I'll be 30 at graduation, and I think it's a fine age.

grotius

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 07:10:46 AM »
Age can only help. Two of the offers I have for a summer associate position are from firms who ONLY interview candidates with work experience prior to law school. Apparently more and more firms are doing this. Most of my 2L classmates who don't have offers at the moment went straight through undergrad to law school and are quite young. Age and experience are a definite plus.

josejanseco

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 03:02:31 AM »
Age can only help. Two of the offers I have for a summer associate position are from firms who ONLY interview candidates with work experience prior to law school. Apparently more and more firms are doing this. Most of my 2L classmates who don't have offers at the moment went straight through undergrad to law school and are quite young. Age and experience are a definite plus.

Are you high?  Of course age can hurt.  Some of these places don't give a @#!* about your work experience, they just want young strong-backed workers, preferably white and male (once they've filled their quotas).  Who do you think a firm can squeeze more blood out of?  A 25 year old, or a 33 year old?  Who on average is going to have more health problems?  Who might start being more concerned about his or her children or spouse?  It's rotten and illegal, but some of these firms do it anyhow!