Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: not going to class  (Read 1415 times)

luckyboy

• View Profile
not going to class
« on: February 19, 2006, 10:49:14 PM »
so theres a class i have this semester and all of the older students say to not go.  Just read a certain commerical outline and do the old tests and you'll be fine.  I have heard like 8 students say this and none that suggest going to class.  So far in class, you learn stuff that might help you for Jeopardy, and thats about it.  I am thinking about starting to go only once a week and see what happens.  Any comments?

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: not going to class
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 01:07:50 AM »
i never go to class. i purchased the "examples and explainations" book for each course. my first semester average is above the mean, so im not that concerned. D for diploma!! when i do go to class i realize why i dont go to class to begin with. its just boring rehashing of what i read the night before. just keep up on the material and do your outlines. this is just my two cents. do what you will with it.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 09:04:32 AM »
Or you could go to class, read the commercial outline, prepare a little bit, do the old test, and ace the sucker.  You could probably pass a class if you didn't go, or at least beat the curve by a hair, but you can't do great, and if the course is so easy, then why not use the oppertunity to get a big bunch of GPA points?

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 09:49:28 AM »
If you break it down, I am paying about $50 a class session to attend. I do the commercial outlines, I do the PMBR MC questions, I read the E&E's till my eyes bleed, and I attend every single class session. I am attacking this law thing with all the weapons I can get, and class time is very important to that. The other things have their value, certainly, but remember that they are called "Supplements" for a reason. To supplement what you are learning in class.

But if you don't want to go to class, that is fine. There has to be people in the bottom half of the curve too.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 11:12:05 AM »
I just have one question for those of you who don't attend class:  if you receive too many absences, aren't you dropped from the class as per the ABA rules?  If I get 5 absences in any of my classes, I will be dropped, and this is a shame, for I find going to class a complete waste of time as well.  I only go to sign the attendance sheet, and then proceed to practically ignore the professor while in class, since listening does NOT help me on my exams one iota...

It's such a shame that law schools feel the need to treat their professional students as high school children (complete with lockers!) by forcing them to attend class.  I swear, my undergraduate school treated me like an adult...I solemnly miss that.

sdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 12:47:17 PM »
It all depends on the prof, many do not keep track of who is there and who is not and so have no way of knowing if you have 5 absences.  Other prof's take role every day.  It seems as though lower ranked schools are stricter on attendance policies than higher ranked schools.  In the end though it really depends on your prof.

luckyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 12:55:38 AM »
i know of only one prof that payed attention to who was gone carfully, another only if they aren't there more than they are, other than that, they don't care, i cant imagine a class where they call off everyones name again, it would make me feel like high school again, and i think it would be enough for me to complain,

1sweetworld4136

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 01:14:58 AM »
My understanding of the matter is that the ABA mandates that 90% of the curriculum must be attended.  If your prof is not keeping attendance, and the law school is not enforcing it, then both of these parties are not in compliance with this rule.

My school keeps very strict attendance.  We have a sign in sheet that goes around, and if you sign it for your friend, it's curtains...and they have already made an example of two people.  I'm paying out my ass for this, so I might as well make the best of it.
In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act.

~George Orwell

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King, Jr

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 02:50:43 PM »
that sounds like a professor I would really like.  I hated it when they gave breaks in undergrad to slackers who didn't show up!

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 02:35:49 AM »
I think what you can get away with as far as class attendance varies by school and/or wher you sit in the class.
If you have big classes and you sit in the back, the teacher will never notice you are gone. I personally think skipping class is a bad idea, but there are people at my school that hardly show up at all.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php