Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD-Transferring?  (Read 1717 times)

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
USD-Transferring?
« on: February 19, 2006, 07:59:18 PM »
Anyone have any experience/info. on transferring to USD or Cal Western?

Class rank needed, etc?

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: USD-Transferring?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 08:21:09 PM »
If you get on the Yahoo site, there is an active poster who transfered into Case. I'm sure he would be helpful.
Air Force JAG Corps

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 09:07:00 PM »
It depends on what school you are coming from.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 09:56:50 AM »
Where are you transferring from that you would want to transfer IN to Cal Western?

USD I can see if you were already at Cal Western, but INTO it?

Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 10:24:24 AM »
I'm already at a T4...in SoCal, but my bf and I want to live in San Diego...

So, from what I hear is that firms in San Diego if they are going to take T4 students, be at the top of Cal Western and you should be fine.

Have you heard anything different?

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 10:50:07 AM »
Things have changed since my time, but I went to TJSL for 2 years. If I could go to USD over either CW or TJSL, I would. If there is anyway to get into USD, do that. In the San Diego area it's no secret that USD is the school of choice. Choosing between TJSL and Cal Western depends on a lot of factors. TJSL's numbers and rep have increased over the years since they became accredited in what, 1996? Cal Western has stayed virtually the same since it was accredited way back in the day. Seems TJSL is on the rise while Cal Western is stagnant. However, Cal Western has the longevity factor, being ABA accredited for as long as they have been and being a fixture in San Diego for so long. TJSL operated as Western State for eons prior to becoming accredited in the late 90's, but since they have, their rep has increased. At least their admissions standards have. I haven't followed their placement and reputation in the area since I left in 2002 tho... might want to talk to people more current.

But if given the choice, go USD.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 10:51:42 AM »
Also wanted to add that I didn't have the #'s to get into USD and I chose TJSL over Cal Western at the time for a lot of reasons (some stated above) but also because it was a better fit for me and I defintely was happy there.

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 12:30:51 PM »
I didn't even apply to USD because I knew I didn't have the numbers.  But, I have done pretty well my first semester of LS and am working my a$$ off to do well second semester.  So, I may have a shot. 

What else do you know about TJSL?  I've only heard misc. things (not very good).  But it is comparable to where I go right now, I think.  I've heard far better things about CalWestern.  But its all relative, just have to find the right people.

Thanks.

sdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 03:11:12 PM »
I transfered from Cal West to USD, I was top 15%, Deens list.  Most of the transfers came from Cal West, only 1 came from TJ.  Basically top 25% will give you a chance, top 15% and you are basically in.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 03:43:00 PM »
Just saw that it was Cal Western and not Case Western. My bad. I'm an idiot.
Air Force JAG Corps