Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring to a different state  (Read 687 times)

Edge

• View Profile
Transferring to a different state
« on: February 18, 2006, 01:34:55 AM »
I got accepted to a school in Tex, Wisconsin, NY, and one in Cali. I think I may want to end up in  Cali, but the NY one has a SWEET scholarship along with it. If I did my first year in NY, is it possible to transfer to a school in a different state?  They're at the same ranking pretty much too (top 100).

I don't want to go to Cali right away in case I don't end up wanting to be there and I'd kick myself if that happened and I gave up the scholarship at the NY school. Any advice/tips is appreciated.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring to a different state
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 06:30:29 PM »
The general advice is to go to whichever school you would choose if transfering is not an option (as long as they are similarly ranked, ect).  Transferring is hard & not gauranteed, so you want a school you will be content graduating from.

Good luck.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring to a different state
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 08:53:54 PM »
Quite the bi-costal pickle.

If they are lower T2, you won't have the national degree to take you to either coast if you go to the opposite coast for law school.

I definitely 2nd Melinda in stating that you cannot assume you will make it as a transfer student. Million variables between now and the end of your 1L.

The scholarship money might be nice but if you are more than 70% sure you will end up in Cali anyway, you might as well suck it up and stay. Most scholarships have a cut off in terms of ranking for them to be renewed (at my school it's top 40%). You have to consider that you may simply suck at law school (it's decent probability, 3/4s of the class isn't going to make the top 25%) and you can lose your scholarship. Then you may be stuck in the middle of the class in T2 school in a state 3000 miles away from home in a state that is bogged down with uber-prestigious law schools and prestige whore hiring partners.

NY is also cold and snowy. Conversely, California may break off into the Pacific and sink.

Id say stay in Cali. Hit the Cali school up for money, using your other scholarship as leverage. Also, if you do well in Cali during your 1L, you can likely get a scholarship from them for your 2L/3L.

Food for thought.
Air Force JAG Corps