Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Job Search  (Read 1408 times)

KatieManley01

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - katiemanley01@Hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Job Search
« on: February 17, 2006, 06:05:35 PM »
I realize there is a seperate employment board, but it doesn't appear to be as heavily frequented. 

Does anyone know of any internet sites that have listings for legal internships?  I realize it is a little late in the game, but I've yet to find something and would really like to be in Atlanta.  I've applied to all of the firms in NALP, but nothing has come of it... does anyone know of a site that has job postings?

Thanks so much.
Attending Duke

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
Re: Job Search
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 07:12:02 PM »
If you applied to all the firms in NALP, I'd say that's pretty exhaustive.  You can try your school career center and lawmatch, i've seen some internships out on monster.

You can always turn to gov or public interest and get some experience there.  I got sucky grades and go to a third tier toilet and still got hired as a law clerk in a gov department.   

debateicon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 12:58:27 AM »
NALP isn't really exhaustive.  Sure, you will get the large firms, but you miss the majority of the firms.  Try a google search for "summer associate" in Atlanta.  Better than that, search on martindale.  you can search by firm type, size, location, specialties, etc.  The info is limited, but you can call firms and get in contact with their hiring partners.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 09:51:18 AM »
There's always Martindale-Hubbell through Lexis.  You can use it to search for small to mid-sized firms if you restrict the # of lawyers appropriately (depends on the city.  For Boston, I was told to search for firms with between 5-75 lawyers).

On the public side, try registering with (it's free) www.pslawnet.org, and see what opportunities are available.

Your career services office may also have job postings from employers you can apply to.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 11:50:17 AM »
How did you apply to the NALP firms?  Did you just do a mass mailer?  If so, it's not surprising that you came up with nothing.

Try looking for attorneys in Atlanta that went to your law school.  Send them emails, call them, etc. and see if you can meet with them or talk to them as an "informational meeting" and start networking; ask them questions about what they do, and ask them if they have any advice for getting a job in that field.  DON'T ASK THEM IF THEY CAN GET YOU A JOB.  Does your school have an alumni mentor program, and if so, can you get a mentor to meet with?  Talk to career services and see what help they can offer, and maybe stating talking to some 2 and 3Ls who have worked in the field you want to get into, and maybe they can contact people they've met at their past jobs and pass your resume along.  Attend CLE's in fields you're interested in; maybe bring a copy of your resume, find out who's teaching the seminar, find out about him, and afterwards go up to him, say you're glad you were able to attend, you're a law student, etc. etc.  Ask if they could take a look at your resume.

It's all about persistance and enthusiasm.  IF it comes down to it, and you just need a legal job, and can make do w/o getting paid, start hitting up smaller firms, and make it clear that you'd be excited to volunteer your time to get some experience and some insight into a particular field.  Smaller firms may not be able to pay you, but they can be a great source of experience.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 06:39:11 AM »
I agree that NALP is not exhaustive. Only the larger med-size to BIGLAW firms are on there. I would definitely try to contact small firms. They often don't know what their hiring needs are until just before so the timing should be perfect. It's not as prestiguous as a big firm job, but really your 1L summer doesn't matter that much.

Also try to contact judges or the DA's office in the city and the suburbs. They can't pay you but you may be able to receive academic credit and therefore financial aid. (Tip try   contacting bankruptcy judges. Since most ppl don't send their stuff to them, they will likely still have room).

DEFINITELY THOUGH CHECK OUT YOUR SCHOOL'S CAREER SERVICES OFFICE. They often have booklets  w/ the contact info for local judges, the public defender's, DA's, and other gov't agencies, e.g. FBI, school district, etc. Also, try the legal dept at some local corporations and insurance companies.   

ApproachTheBench

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 08:49:09 PM »
I'd also recommend going nuts on your alumni network if you have one.  If you've applied to a bunch of big firms and come up empty, it's time to start hitting the pavement and really selling yourself.  Career services might be helpful, but at some schools career services is relatively worthless.

Good luck.
Save time, save money, find a summer job at http://www.approachthebench.com

KatieManley01

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - katiemanley01@Hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 11:18:28 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies.  I guess I find it frustrating because I am at a "Top 15 School" with median grades.  I am watching many of my classmates receive offers from firms.  However, I am straight out of undergrad (read no experience), with no connections, and no obvious ties to the city I would like to be in (Atlanta).  I know that I want to work in a firm upon graduation, but at this point do not know what practice area.  I was really hoping this summer I would have the opportunity to learn more about the practice areas to help in my decision.  I will look to smaller firms in Atlanta, but I'm afraid if I cannot find a paid internship I will not be able to take the job...  Our school has stipends for public interest jobs, which I would not mind doing, and will do if nothing works out.  I was just hoping to get some firm experience so that I could better understand the inner-workings, practice areas, etc. 

Our career services is helpful, but i think they've helped me to their greatest extent at this point....
Attending Duke

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 02:53:46 PM »
The most important thing is to be persistent and keep looking.  Be flexible.  And milk your contacts for all they're worth (does anyone you know happen to know any lawyers?  any lawyers in/from Atlanta?).  Send letters to Atlanta alums from your law school or undergrad, try to network and set up informational interviews (explain that you might not have many obvious ties to Atlanta, but there are strong reasons why you want to practice there, and these reasons are x, y, and z).  Just keep trying and don't get too discouraged.  You're at a great school.  Eventually, you'll find something.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 01:28:17 AM »
FYI there is a separate employment board-> "1l job search" (or something like that)