Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SLU, anyone?  (Read 18353 times)

abc123

• View Profile
Re: SLU, anyone?
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 03:36:08 PM »
I've been looking for apartments online for the past day myself, and so far these are my favorite links:

(1) From SLU itself (targeted at international students, but it seems perfectly adequate):

http://www.slu.edu/centers/international/off-campushousing.html

(2) From an article in the SLU newspaper:

Movingoffcampus.com

Select "Find an apartment," and then when the next page loads, select "St. Louis University" as your school (on the right side)
Acceptances: Boalt, Georgetown, Michigan, NYU, Harvard, Yale, Columbia (w/$120K)

chvti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2006, 07:30:10 PM »
Is it very hard for SLU law students to find a job outside MO? I am from NYC and this is the only school that accepted me. I would like practice in NY after I graduated, and I know there are a lot competition in NYC. Any thoughts are appreciated!

mmhome

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 11:42:15 PM »
I am a current 2L at SLU and a lifelong resident of the area.  Feel free to e-mail me with any questions.  Some asked about the light rail near SLU. The closest Metro Link stop is the Grand Avenue stop. (Metro Link runs from teh airport by the way.)  From that you can hop a SLU shuttle to the law school.  But, the shuttle does not run all the time.  Will have to check out that schedule.  It is really too far to walk and, quite frankly, I would not like to be at that particular stop alone late at night.  Daytime is just fine. If you do not want a car and do not want to do the Lindell Towers or COronado...then I suggest an apartment somewhere in the Central West End.  You can ride the Lindell public bus line right to the door of the law school.  Most people do have cars, but I know several students who get by just fine without one.  I happen to live in Illinois, right across the river. (the MIssissippi that it.)  Anyway, during late night study sessions, I often envy those people that live in the Lindell Towers or the Coronado.  They can right over for lunch/dinner, take breaks during the day and sleep till the last minute in the morning.  In fact, I seriously considered renting an apartment there just for the heck of it...even though I live only 25 minutes away. There is also a newly renovated apartment building called the Moolah temple that is just about a block down.  Very close too...in fact, closer than most of the parking.  As far as the downtown...it has really been coming back and within a couple of years, it is going to be even better.  real Estate there is very hot right now, but there are some great rental deals.  I certainly wouldn't rule it out, especially the Washington Avenue area.

eem

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 07:35:58 PM »
Is it very hard for SLU law students to find a job outside MO? I am from NYC and this is the only school that accepted me. I would like practice in NY after I graduated, and I know there are a lot competition in NYC. Any thoughts are appreciated!

I am a 1L at SLU.  I'm not trying to be mean, but you will probably have a hard time finding something in NY unless you are at the top of your class.  While this might happen for you, I am guessing that if SLU was the only place you got into, this is by no means a sure thing.  Personally, if I were set on working in NY, I would not go to SLU.  If you do reasonably well at SLU you should be able to find something decent in St. Louis and elsewhere in the midwest, but NY is going to be tough.  Of course, it also depends on what kind of job you want--NY BIGLAW would be a lot harder than finding something in NY at a small firm or something in public interest. 
Good luck.   

chvti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2006, 07:57:06 PM »
Thanks for the information. How is intellectual property program at SLU? I want to do patent law after I graduate.

I am a 1L at SLU.  I'm not trying to be mean, but you will probably have a hard time finding something in NY unless you are at the top of your class.  While this might happen for you, I am guessing that if SLU was the only place you got into, this is by no means a sure thing.  Personally, if I were set on working in NY, I would not go to SLU.  If you do reasonably well at SLU you should be able to find something decent in St. Louis and elsewhere in the midwest, but NY is going to be tough.  Of course, it also depends on what kind of job you want--NY BIGLAW would be a lot harder than finding something in NY at a small firm or something in public interest. 
Good luck.   

fener

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2006, 06:08:45 PM »
One question for any SLU student.  I was a bit intimidated by the fact that 1L's can't use Westlaw or Nexis Lexis their first semester.  No other law school I am considering has that policy.  I certainly understand the intrinsic value of such a policy, but it seemed like it would add even more stress to an already stressful LWR class.  Can anyone comment how much extra work and stress it added or am I allowing myself to be pysched out by this policy?

fener

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 04:06:13 AM »
Was that your sole factor for not going to SLU?  I admit it is not something that sounded appealing for an already tough 1L semester, but it is not a swing factor on its own.

k stone 63112

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2006, 11:44:35 PM »
I am a native St Louisian and will be attending the SLU Summer Institute. I own 2 duplexes in the St.Louis metro area; 2 of the units are filled, 2 are empty.One of the house is the inner city, 1 is in Clayton, a very nice area. I am looking for tenants-I would prefer 2 people per apartment. I would prefer 1 year lease agreements, However, I will entertain summer offers. If you are seriously interested reply on this thread and I will discussion the particulars.

eem

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2006, 12:14:25 PM »
One question for any SLU student.  I was a bit intimidated by the fact that 1L's can't use Westlaw or Nexis Lexis their first semester.  No other law school I am considering has that policy.  I certainly understand the intrinsic value of such a policy, but it seemed like it would add even more stress to an already stressful LWR class.  Can anyone comment how much extra work and stress it added or am I allowing myself to be pysched out by this policy?

This is not true.  If the admissions office is still telling you this, they are wrong.  We got Lexis and Westlaw passwords during orientation.  You can do all your LRW research first semester online. You will have to do some BS library assignments (not graded), but they are really not a big deal.

chvti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2006, 07:50:14 PM »
Anyone subletting his/her apt.?? ^^