Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SLU, anyone?  (Read 18932 times)

befuddled

• View Profile
SLU, anyone?
« on: February 15, 2006, 05:33:53 PM »
I'll be starting at SLU this fall, and I'm looking to talk to people who know a thing or two about the school!  I'd love to hear your thoughts on the school, and any other words of wisdom you may have for a soon-to-be 1L.

Thanks!

chvti

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SLU, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 11:13:07 PM »
I will be attending SLU in the Fall after completing the Summer Program. I heard that the campus is very nice and the cost of living is cheap there. Hope that help.

Michael

regional

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 07:23:26 PM »
Hey.  I checked out SLU in March and decided on attending there this fall.  Really couldn't have been more impressed with everything.

fener

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 02:00:05 AM »
I visited SLU last week and was impressed with the facilities and generally laid back vibe of the student body.  They seem quite wired to the community, which should not be surprising, as Wash U grads are more likely to leave the area.  The city was a mixed bag.  The immediate area around SLU seemed a bit dull, but the Central West End was 2 miles away and a bit more lively. Forest Park is not far off either. The Loop district seemed more friendly to young people, but is actually in University City and not Saint Louis. Saint Louis's downtown seems like it is trying to come back, but it will take a while (though the Washington Avenue area has potential). The school had a lot of upside, but it was the direction of the city that worried me. I am still debating between SLU, Cincinnati, and William Mitchell.  The rust belt/declining feel of many parts of Saint Louis makes me uneasy since one never knows if they will end up the city of the school after graduation.  Cincinnati is even more rust belt/declining though, so it could be worse.  Either way, both cities will be huge a step down culturally from Minneapolis/St. Paul, but the school might have enough to make me take that plunge.

befuddled

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 04:46:42 PM »
I was there March 24-26 for the 1843 Scholars weekend, and had a lot of the same impressions that you did.  I wasn't terribly impressed with the downtown area in general, but it does look like they're working hard to built it back up.  The SLU campus was nice, and I really liked the School of Law facilities.  Most impressive, though, was the way that the faculty and the students seemed so connected.  One of the highlights of the weekend was the Public Interest Law Group auction, where I couldn't help but notice how friendly everyone was with one another.

chvti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 07:14:34 PM »
Looking forward to SLU!

fener

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 07:55:40 PM »
Befuddled-

I concur with your perceptions about friendliness of SLU folks and the connection between faculty and students.  The jesuit spirit seems to work in positive ways there, and it is certainly not oppressively catholic.  The students seemed happy to be there.  Did you by any chance see where the nearest light rail stop to the law school was?  I heard there was one right by SLU Med School, which I gather is a mile or so away.  In my three possible locations I am trying to see if it is feasible not to have a car at first, asI think it might keep me more grounded.  Saint Louis, for all its flaws, still certainly has some lovely neighborhoods and really nice architecture.

regional

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 09:32:43 PM »
I just paid my seat deposit at SLU --  I couldn't be more excited.  Keep in mind, however, I'm coming from Katrina-wrecked Louisiana, so the prospect of living in a place where I will never have to worry about another cat-5 again is definately a bonus.  Not to mention our largest industry is crawfish.

Stirnaman03

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 01:37:38 AM »
I think I've made my decision to attend SLU in the fall, too.  I was debating between SLU and SIU-Carbondale (because of the money issue) but I think the opportunities at SLU will be worth the cost.  I'm from the STL area and I really wouldn't consider the area bad, or an issue, but I don't live downtown either. 

I'm curious where anyone might be living.  I noticed SLU has some apartments for graduate students.  Does anyone know anything about those? 

I'm getting excited!

chvti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 02:48:13 AM »
Here are some housing options I know:

1)    Residence Inn by Marriott St. Louis/Downtown
(http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/STLRD)
Furnished studio - $70 / day
Furnished two bedroom - $119 / day

2)    Chase Park Plaza
(http://www.chaseparkplaza.com)
Furnished studio - $1,500 / month
Furnished one bedroom - $2,000 / month

3)    Coronado Apartments
(http://www.apartments-stlouis.com/coronado/default.htm)

Im not sure exactly where to live yet. Seems like Coronado is closest to the law school, so I leaning towards that apt. as right now...