Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BTW - (foreign law degrees and bar acceptance)  (Read 7782 times)

burtonsnow

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: BTW - (foreign law degrees and bar acceptance)
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 02:20:11 AM »
Ducky Wrote:
lord i wouild never want you to be my lawyer, a south african law degree come on now thats madness.

I'm curious what law school would graduate someone with the writing and grammatical skills of a 5th grader?

Also, when you say this:

that throughout the period of the applicant’s study, the law school or schools attended was each recognized by the competent accrediting agency of the government of such other country, or a political subdivision thereof...
[/b]

...without quoting the originating source, that puts you in the position of explicitly claiming this quote as having originated with you, which you didn't. That makes you a plagiarizer of copyrighted material, Ducky

The original:
(3) that throughout the period of the applicant’s study, the law school or schools attended was each recognized by the competent accrediting agency of the government of such other country, or a political subdivision thereof, as qualified and approved...

http://www.nybarexam.org/foreign.htm

Well Duckboy, either you are a thief of intellectual property or you never learned how to use your Little Blue Book very well, huh?  Which is it?

And you aren't a lawyer or a law student either, like anyone ever thought you were. So until you present us real evidence, i.e., law school transcripts cross referenced with some valid form of ID - just shut the hell up, stop bashing Cindy sheehan, and go back to plumbing walls somewhere in nebraska.

Ok...now I"m bashing carpenters...OK, so sue me...

mango

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BTW
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 08:29:51 AM »
even if you get an llm from an aba school you can NOT take the bar if your jd is from a non aba school.

Why bother passing the bar if you have an LLM from an ABA-approved school?! With an LLM you can get a job that pays quite a bit of money, without putting yourself through the pains of passing the bar. And even if you pass the bar, when you'll apply for a job they'll see you don't have a JD and you'll probably end up being paid not more than in the first case.

mrspeterson25

• View Profile
Foreign law degrees and bar acceptance)
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 04:24:50 PM »
For those of you who are curious about DL and Foreign Law degrees please do your own research and post your results.  Initially I researched and decided to enroll in William H. Taft school of Law.  I was assured that if I attended the Attorney Track Program I would be able to sit for the bar in California which would make me eligible to practice in other states. 

I currently reside in OHIO, and I anticipate moving to North Carolina within the Next 4 years.  Part of reason for considering the DL program is my need to be home with my family and the inability for me to quit my job and go to law school full time.  For the record, I currently have a Master's Degree in which I obtained from Tiffin University (for those of you who think I'm taking the easy way out).

To sum it all up I called the North Carolina Bar examiners who advised me that even if I take and pass the Bar in California, I can not sit for the Bar in North Carolina because Taft is not ABA approved.  I would be expected to obtain an aba approved JD Degree.

Upon further research I learned that you can Attend a Foreign accredited Law School (LLB) and (in most states) obtain a LLM and/or take 20 to 24 additional credit hours at a ABA APPROVED SCHOOL and that will qualify you to sit for their bar.  See for yourself..
 http://www.ncbex.org/fileadmin/mediafiles/downloads/Comp_Guide/2007CompGuide.pdf

Furthermore google the University of London LLB Program and let me know what you think...  Better yet her is the link

http://legaltutors.com/Bar%20Admissions/united_states.htm

Parradox

• View Profile
Re: Foreign law degrees and bar acceptance)
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 11:48:35 AM »
...To sum it all up I called the North Carolina Bar examiners who advised me that even if I take and pass the Bar in California, I can not sit for the Bar in North Carolina because Taft is not ABA approved.  I would be expected to obtain an aba approved JD Degree.

Upon further research I learned that you can Attend a Foreign accredited Law School (LLB) and (in most states) obtain a LLM and/or take 20 to 24 additional credit hours at a ABA APPROVED SCHOOL and that will qualify you to sit for their bar.  See for yourself..
 http://www.ncbex.org/fileadmin/mediafiles/downloads/Comp_Guide/2007CompGuide.pdf

Furthermore google the University of London LLB Program and let me know what you think...  Better yet her is the link

http://legaltutors.com/Bar%20Admissions/united_states.htm

mrspeterson,

I too am very intrigued by the online option; however, be very careful and make sure that the Correspondence LLB is also allowed. I have done extensive research into this and (so far) even the states that claim to allow graduates of foreign JD or LLB programs to sit for the bar have the caveat of prohibiting any online or distance programs. I specifically read of a woman who had obtained her LLB through the London program and was initially "allowed" to take the bar exam (in NY, I think) and after it was discovered that she had attended via correspondence...subsequently refused admission (she failed the exam or it would have been a very interesting legal battle, I think!).

As a word of encouragement, if you can afford to travel to Cali a few times and can ultimately pass the Cali Bar...you may then practice in any number of specialized areas of Federal Law in any State in the Country. Just depends on what you want to do with it. For me, personally, I have made the difficult decision to go the ABA accredited route as I wish to do local stuff as well.

On a final note if any reader out there knows of ANYONE that has had personal success doing the Distance JD / Cali Bar route and has been able to practice ANYWHWERE in Georgia, Tennessee or Kentucky PLEASE let me know!!

mrspeterson25

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 10:05:24 PM »
My only concern with the California programs is that even after passing the california bar, you can't sit for any other bar because no other state will recognize it.  The North Carolina Bar Examiners actually stated that I would have to go to law school again.  Personally I do not want to practice law in the courtroom.  My plan was to obtain the degree for the purpuse of career advancement (in corporate compliance).  However my mentor and other individuals in the legal field have explained that I shouldn't limit myself to not being able to practice in the courtroom.  They anticipate that I will get the courtroom itch.  Any suggestions.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 11:06:50 PM »
Even though you are technically able to sit for the CA bar, there's still no guarantees. First, from what I understand, you have to take the Baby Bar before you can even sit through the bar.  Most people don't pass it.  Then you have to actually sit for the bar, which is one of the most difficult bar exams in the country.  There was a story a while back about how the dean of Stanford Law failed the CA bar when she took it to be licensed in CA.

The only suggestion I have is, unfortunately, to go to an ABA approved law school.