Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BTW - (foreign law degrees and bar acceptance)  (Read 7760 times)

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
BTW - (foreign law degrees and bar acceptance)
« on: February 13, 2006, 05:33:00 PM »
BTW - for those serious about the DL route...you might look for overseas programs such as those in South Africa that allow for DL. They are fully accredited (in that country). This would probably allow you to then do a US LLM and sit for the bar in selected states...but look into it for yourself, as I am unsure of all the applicable regulations...

duckasourus

• View Profile
Re: BTW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 02:29:52 PM »
even if you get an llm from an aba school you can NOT take the bar if your jd is from a non aba school.

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 04:14:21 PM »
even if you get an llm from an aba school you can NOT take the bar if your jd is from a non aba school.

Just to prove how wrong you are:

http://www.nybarexam.org/foreign.htm

gee...I wonder what else you might be wrong about?

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 05:29:12 PM »
and California accepts foreign educated law students as well:

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/calbar/pdfs/admissions/sf_legal-edu-outside-us.pdf

I guess that means that you CAN complete a foreign law degree, and still pass the bar for the 2 biggest legal markets in the country (CA and NY)...

C'mon duck, you should at least know the rules in your own state...

duckasourus

• View Profile
Re: BTW - (foreign law degrees and bar acceptance)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 06:10:34 PM »
you are talking about getting an education in south africa are u serious?  Also most states require a degree from an ABA school to take the bar.  As for NY that throughout the period of the applicant’s study, the law school or schools attended was each recognized by the competent accrediting agency of the government of such other country, or a political subdivision thereof, as qualified and approved;that throughout the period of the applicant’s study, the law school or schools attended was each recognized by the competent accrediting agency of the government of such other country, or a political subdivision thereof, as qualified and approved;  Um I doubt that education would satisfy any ones requirements.  As for my own state, our bar exam and the baby bar for the fake students keeps the idiots from practicing law.

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 06:38:10 PM »
you are talking about getting an education in south africa are u serious?  Also most states require a degree from an ABA school to take the bar.  As for NY that throughout the period of the applicant’s study, the law school or schools attended was each recognized by the competent accrediting agency of the government of such other country, or a political subdivision thereof, as qualified and approved;that throughout the period of the applicant’s study, the law school or schools attended was each recognized by the competent accrediting agency of the government of such other country, or a political subdivision thereof, as qualified and approved;  Um I doubt that education would satisfy any ones requirements.  As for my own state, our bar exam and the baby bar for the fake students keeps the idiots from practicing law.

To simplify what you quoted: The degree has to be recognized in the country where it was awarded. Thus, if the South African govt. recognizes the degree, it is fine. This simply keeps people from applying to overseas diploma mills to receive their degree.

There is another stipulation that the law degree has to be based on English Common Law...so I believe that South Africa, a former colony, would qualify...but as I said before - people should look into this to verify before choosing this route...

So yes, according to both NY and CA law, you can earn a foreign degree in law and still qualify to sit the bar...you may have to take additional classes (I believe NY requires 20 hours at an ABA school) - sorry ducky

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 06:56:45 PM »
lord i wouild never want you to be my lawyer, a south african law degree come on now thats madness.

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 07:34:17 PM »
lord i wouild never want you to be my lawyer, a south african law degree come on now thats madness.

I love how you never respond to the arguments presented...

If it is madness, then I guess you can now ridicule your own state bar...as it allows for this possibility.

BTW - would you find a degree from Canada, Australia, or the UK more acceptable? Or are you just against anything that is non ABA...

SeaLawyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 05:13:35 PM »

If it is madness, then I guess you can now ridicule your own state bar...as it allows for this possibility.

BTW - would you find a degree from Canada, Australia, or the UK more acceptable? Or are you just against anything that is non ABA...
If you would look at the NY Bar site, you would have seen that all law degrees that are from DL study are not allow to take the Bar exam in NY.  This rule changed about two years ago. Also in TX the same rule applies. There is a HB in the state that is trying to change the rule and allow DL grads that have passed the bar take the TX bar after 3-5 years of practice.  For the most part, all states except for a couple will make DL lawyers that are bar in CA work for about 5-10 years before they could even think of taking the bar exam.  Now the rules for TX and NY are different if you attended a state approved school in person.  The wait to take the NY and TX bar would only be 3 years.  People who get DL law degrees from the UK or anywhere else overseas is just wasting time and money.

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 07:37:46 PM »

If you would look at the NY Bar site, you would have seen that all law degrees that are from DL study are not allow to take the Bar exam in NY.  This rule changed about two years ago. Also in TX the same rule applies. There is a HB in the state that is trying to change the rule and allow DL grads that have passed the bar take the TX bar after 3-5 years of practice.  For the most part, all states except for a couple will make DL lawyers that are bar in CA work for about 5-10 years before they could even think of taking the bar exam.  Now the rules for TX and NY are different if you attended a state approved school in person.  The wait to take the NY and TX bar would only be 3 years.  People who get DL law degrees from the UK or anywhere else overseas is just wasting time and money.

that is good to know - that one must actually physically attend the foreign school -  I had missed that...of course that's why I prefaced that anyone considering should really look into it...