Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L jobs. Big or Small Firms?  (Read 4092 times)

fljames989

• View Profile
    • Email
1L jobs. Big or Small Firms?
« on: February 13, 2006, 10:15:29 AM »
I was recently offered a job at a small Law Firm in Tallahassee, FL. The firm has less than 5 attorneys in 2 offices.

I am in the top 20% of my class at a Florida T4 school. They job only offers $11.00 for "summer law clerking in both civil and criminal areas."

My question is, is this the best I'll get as a 1L from a t4? I want to reject this offer and look for jobs that pay more but I'm scared of being left with nothing come summer time. Every I've talked to says "a bird in the hand...", but I wonder what my chances are of doing better.

Also, I've heard some people say that they learned a lot working in a smaller practice, I'm actually scared that all I'll be doing is making coffee and copies.

I'd appreciate some input thanks

artgirl

• View Profile
Re: 1L jobs. Big or Small Firms?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 11:30:39 AM »
what does two in the hand mean?

fljames989

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 12:02:51 PM »
haha, sorry. Brain lapse, I corrected my error.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 12:49:07 PM »
I was recently offered a job at a small Law Firm in Tallahassee, FL. The firm has less than 5 attorneys in 2 offices.

I am in the top 20% of my class at a Florida T4 school. They job only offers $11.00 for "summer law clerking in both civil and criminal areas."

My question is, is this the best I'll get as a 1L from a t4? I want to reject this offer and look for jobs that pay more but I'm scared of being left with nothing come summer time. Every I've talked to says "a bird in the hand...", but I wonder what my chances are of doing better.

Also, I've heard some people say that they learned a lot working in a smaller practice, I'm actually scared that all I'll be doing is making coffee and copies.

I'd appreciate some input thanks

Actually, I think you did ok with this job considering your school, rank and location.  $11/hour is great considering that most of your fellow 1Ls will be working in unpaid or even non-legal jobs this summer.  I really doubt you'll be doing menial tasks.  As a small firm, they might be overburdened as it is, and they can't afford to pay you that wage just for making coffee!  At most BigLaw firms, the summer associateship is more about recruiting than giving substantive work experience.

At this time in the recruiting cycle, I think it's late to start looking for another job, anyway.  It sounds like you have a good opportunity.  Don't waste it.
Fed gov't atty

tjking82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 05:00:32 PM »
This is tough - the wage stinks, given that you've presumably taken a good chunk of loans.  The problem is that 1L hiring is quite limited, and most of these firms who pay are looking for Tier 1 students.

I guess I'd say you should probably bite the bullet and get the legal experience, even at the $11/hr.  But I don't know how the person above said they couldn't afford to pay you $11 to make coffee.  Any halfway competent firm can pay more than $11, even small ones.  They DO want to have more associates, right?

In conclusion:  Take the job, but don't even consider going back there after graduation.  Tightwads.

Brisco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 05:59:45 PM »
You're lucky to have anything paying at all. I'm at a far better school and I would be very happy with that job for 1L.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 10:18:18 PM »
This is tough - the wage stinks, given that you've presumably taken a good chunk of loans.  The problem is that 1L hiring is quite limited, and most of these firms who pay are looking for Tier 1 students.

I guess I'd say you should probably bite the bullet and get the legal experience, even at the $11/hr.  But I don't know how the person above said they couldn't afford to pay you $11 to make coffee.  Any halfway competent firm can pay more than $11, even small ones.  They DO want to have more associates, right?

In conclusion:  Take the job, but don't even consider going back there after graduation.  Tightwads.

d**mn.  Sense of entitlement?  As  a 1L, he should be doing backflips over an 11/hr job that provides legal experience.

tjking82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 10:27:24 PM »

d**mn.  Sense of entitlement?  As  a 1L, he should be doing backflips over an 11/hr job that provides legal experience.

I don't know where you people live, but you can make $50/hr working LSAT prep for TestMasters, you can make $20/hr as a waiter, or you can make $11 as an administrative assistant somewhere, where the only requirements are an associates degree and good phone skills.

If you're after the experience, good for you.  There's something to be said for that.  But don't pretend that's not a bad wage for somebody they're hoping will come back in a few years and help them make hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Brisco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 01:10:33 AM »
If you're after the experience, good for you.  There's something to be said for that.  But don't pretend that's not a bad wage for somebody they're hoping will come back in a few years and help them make hundreds of thousands of dollars.

What else would you be after for 1L summer? A lot of people work 20hrs at a volunteer job and then do a non law related job to make money. I don't think that 20/hr waiter job is going to help in 2L OCI.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 01:56:35 PM »

What else would you be after for 1L summer? A lot of people work 20hrs at a volunteer job and then do a non law related job to make money. I don't think that 20/hr waiter job is going to help in 2L OCI.

Agreed.  The reason you're encouraged to find a law-related position your 1L summer isn't money; it's all about getting valuable experience so you have something to talk about during OCI (or other interviews) next fall.  Most 1Ls will probably not find ANY paying work their 1L summer, regardless of how highly their school is ranked (with the possible exception of the very tippy-top schools).  If you can work in a law-related position for $11/ hour, you should jump at the chance, assuming you don't have something better (not only in terms of pay, but also field of interest, value of the experience, etc.).
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein