Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What does it take to transfer into one of the big boys from a Tier-1?  (Read 1803 times)

Smith11

• View Profile
Okay the schools I am considering are Baylor, Pepperdine, Wake Forest, Emory, and Kentucky? (I haven't entered law school yet) What do I  need to do to be able to transfer from one of these schools to one of the big boys? Big boys defined as:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Virginia
6. Michigan
7. Columbia
8. Texas
9. Vanderbilt
10. George Washington

(note: I want to clerk at the Supreme Court)
My #'s are 165 and 3.70. Thanks much.

tjking82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What does it take to transfer into one of the big boys from a Tier-1?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 11:49:19 PM »
Okay the schools I am considering are Baylor, Pepperdine, Wake Forest, Emory, and Kentucky? (I haven't entered law school yet) What do I  need to do to be able to transfer from one of these schools to one of the big boys? Big boys defined as:

1. Yale
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Virginia
6. Michigan
7. Columbia
8. Texas
9. Vanderbilt
10. George Washington

I understand you have high aspirations, and that your GPA/LSAT aren't good enough to get you into a school where you can achieve those.  And I understand that you need to transfer to one of the aforementioned schools to accomplish those ambitions.

In my mind, you ARE the Indianapolis Colts.  What do I mean by that?  If you keep thinking "Supreme Court, Supreme Court", you are guaranteed to fall flat on your face.  You need focus.  It is going to take every last ounce of your energy to get the grades you'll need to transfer into the Top 10.  So for right now, focus on the single task at hand - winning that next game.  You've got to kill yourself to get the grades, because if you focus too much on the Supreme Court, you'll lose focus on the grades.

Loosen up the collar a little bit, and start studying 1st year classes so you can kick ass when school starts.  Forget about the Supreme Court - wait until you've transferred into Harvard to worry about that.

SamSpade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 02:05:01 PM »

1. Yale
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
4. Chicago
5. Virginia
6. Michigan
7. Columbia
8. Texas
9. Vanderbilt
10. George Washington

I understand you have high aspirations, and that your GPA/LSAT aren't good enough to get you into a school where you can achieve those.  And I understand that you need to transfer to one of the aforementioned schools to accomplish those ambitions.

In my mind, you ARE the Indianapolis Colts.  What do I mean by that?  If you keep thinking "Supreme Court, Supreme Court", you are guaranteed to fall flat on your face.  You need focus.  It is going to take every last ounce of your energy to get the grades you'll need to transfer into the Top 10.  So for right now, focus on the single task at hand - winning that next game.  You've got to kill yourself to get the grades, because if you focus too much on the Supreme Court, you'll lose focus on the grades.

Loosen up the collar a little bit, and start studying 1st year classes so you can kick ass when school starts.  Forget about the Supreme Court - wait until you've transferred into Harvard to worry about that.

^^^^^^
What he said.

Truth is, the best transferring story that I know of is a guy who started off at NYLS (T-3), finished 1st in his class 1L, and was able to transfer to Georgetown.
Attending BLS in Fall '06...

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 11:44:19 PM »
My only comment is that you should be realistic about your goals. You basically have to finish number one or two in your class when you graduate FROM A VERY GOOD SCHOOL, and have some other things going for you...like your daddy went to high school with one of the supreme court justicies,  to even have a shot at clerking with the Supreme court.

Saying that you want to clerk at the supreme court is like saying you want to be the president of the United States.

Also, I don't see why you couldn't be competitive in the regular admissions cycle at either Vandy or G.W. Why didn't you apply there in the first place without bothering with the transfer? You should have at least been waitlisted at one of them.

Go to Emory or Wake Forest. They are both near the level of Vanderbilt, and you would have a much easier time transfering out of either of them to one of the "big boys" IF you did well.

And thats another thing... "if you do well." Everyone thinks they'll be like top 10 percent in law school. Well....it's only 10 percent of the people that do make it. And you pretty much know after your first semester if you'll be able to transfer to your "big boys" schools. I knew a guy who was like "I'm going to transfer to Penn" at my school before he took the first semester finals. Now he's shut up about it. This happens with a lot of people after first semester. (and you notice a lot of people stop being "gunners" in class after they get their first semester grades back)

So bottom line, all I'm saying, is don't get your hopes up too much. It's nice to have goals, but make sure those goals are realistic.

(and I'm not saying this because I did terrible my first semester, I actually did quite well...but just not top 10 percent....I'm just a bit of a realist is all it is)

Good luck though! Go to Emory or Wake Forest as they are the best schools on your list.

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 09:06:05 PM »
You could probably clerk for the New York Supreme Court.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 09:40:13 AM »
 ;D
Nice elemnopee, very nice.
Air Force JAG Corps