Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laid back, enjoyable law schools  (Read 3281 times)

jessieivy1

• View Profile
    • Email
Laid back, enjoyable law schools
« on: February 10, 2006, 10:06:21 AM »
Some of you wrote in response to my "One L" post that you were really enjoying your law school and some of you (at least one) mentioned the law school experience as being "laid back" for them.

For those of you who don't mind listing where you go to school (or other schools you know of that fit this description), could you please list schools that have a more laid back atmosphere, where people tend to like each other and where the professors are helpful and not out to humiliate the students.

Thanks!  If you wouldn't mind, could you please list schools that are, more or less, in the top 75 or so?

Thanks a lot!

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Laid back, enjoyable law schools
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 10:10:24 AM »
Whether or not someone thinks a law school is stressful or laid back may have more to do with that student than with the school.
I don't think this should be a significant factor in your decision as to which law school you should attend.

jessieivy1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 10:31:38 AM »
Good point - I don't think it would significantly affect my decision, but it'd be nice to know. But I think you may be right about saying it has more to do with the student than the school.  Someone in my "One L" topic mentioned their school being laid back - so it piqued my curiosity. 

So - I guess I'll put a twist into this topic now - how about ways to make your law school experience more laid back, or at least more enjoyable?  I know law school will be VERY hard, but I still hope to have a realtively enjoyable experience.

Thanks!

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 12:29:54 PM »
I think FSU is pretty laid-back, but I don't spend a lot of time on campus, and I don't live in one of the apartment buildings that has a lot of law students. I've heard some horror stories about people hiding books and I'm sure there are a few bad apples, but I haven't experienced too much of that. There's the typical stuff that you'd get in any high school, I mean, law school environment, but it's overall not too bad.

NotReally

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 05:44:38 PM »
I go to a top 10 school and it is laid back.  I think most top 10 schools are pretty laid back. I think the most laid back are probably Stanford and UVA from what I have heard. I have also heard that Columbia might be slightly less laid back. 

The worse the employment stats for a school the worse the stress if you get stressed out by not having a job. If you are a fourth tier school and you are competing to 1st not get cut off because you are bottom of the class and second for the few descent jobs that people get coming out of your school then it is more stressful and I am assuming more cutthroat.  I personally would become very cut throat if I knew that there woudlnt' be a job waiting for me if I didn't beat 75 percent of my class mates (at least a good job)

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 07:31:32 PM »
hmmm, laid back law school = oxymoron.

i think its all relative. everywhere you will be stressed. its just which schools you will be stressed the least.
check the footnotes ya'll

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 07:18:18 PM »
I am at UCLA, and I'd say it's fairly laid back.  However, it really is just about the student.  There are plenty of people who get freaked out here about exams, jobs, and everything else.  When you're surrounded by people who are all competing for the same jobs and grades you are, it's very easy to get caught up in it.  The key is to try to disassociate yourself from that feeling of competition to the largest extent you can. 

1sweetworld4136

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 03:05:22 PM »
hmmm, laid back law school = oxymoron.

i think its all relative. everywhere you will be stressed. its just which schools you will be stressed the least.

Agreed.  I assumed that due to the setting and context of my law school students would not be assholes.  But they are, and so am I.  Law school is like the Iditerod (sp).  It's a race, and those who keep on going the swiftest will win.  Although I would describe my law school as laid back in comparison to other schools, I do agree it's all relative.
In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act.

~George Orwell

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King, Jr

silvercannonca

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 03:51:14 PM »
George Mason has psycho, belittle the student profs.

Thomas Jefferson and Hamlin are super laid back

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 04:13:56 PM »
Wyoming is pretty laid back. Theres only like 225 students.