Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Letter of Rec  (Read 641 times)

QUAKER OATS

Letter of Rec
« on: February 09, 2006, 05:42:03 PM »
Please weigh in on your opinion of which prof would be better suited to give a good recco for a transfer

In Civ Pro, I got an A- (the second highest grade in the class) but the prof barely, if at all, knows anything about me.  Conversely, in LRW I got a C+ (curve set at C+) but the prof. knows me really well.

I'm thinking the Civ Pro would be better, although I'm not sure how specific she could/would be about me.  Could this hurt?  What do YOU think?

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
Re: Letter of Rec
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 06:10:01 PM »
Please weigh in on your opinion of which prof would be better suited to give a good recco for a transfer

In Civ Pro, I got an A- (the second highest grade in the class) but the prof barely, if at all, knows anything about me.  Conversely, in LRW I got a C+ (curve set at C+) but the prof. knows me really well.

I'm thinking the Civ Pro would be better, although I'm not sure how specific she could/would be about me.  Could this hurt?  What do YOU think?

I would only include one from the LRW prof if you will be indicating a specific reason for transferring that they can verify...because earning another school would probably discount a academic reference where your grade was a C+. (ex - your LRW prof practiced Health Law prior to teaching, and once you found that out, you have had several discussions over the semester about "Health Law" and whether or not another school would serve to prepare you better for such a career path, and he/she recommended Law School X)

Brisco

• View Profile
Re: Letter of Rec
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 07:27:57 PM »
Some schools specify that you can't even use LRW instructors as recommenders, even if you can its probably not going to carry much weight since they don't have the same professional status as a tenured prof.