Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to live?  (Read 6195 times)

Maclock

• View Profile
Where to live?
« on: February 09, 2006, 12:40:54 PM »
X

celarkobri

Re: Where to live?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 06:19:00 PM »
http://student-space.com/Northwestern/home_law.php
is the place where a lot of students go to find their apartment. If you're going to admitted students weekend, they usually do tours of the larger buildings- Onterie and McClurg. You're not going to find a steal in Gold Coast, but those two are affordable, although you're looking at studios and small 1 bedrooms.

I live about 30 min. away by the NU shuttle and i have about twice as much space in my 2bdrm for the same price.

Maclock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 12:15:26 AM »
X

ALIBABA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 11:17:58 AM »
As someone who used to live in Chicago, I think you're expectations are VERY high (although you did not mention what your budget was for rent).  It is virtually impossible to find a reasonably-priced place (i.e., something that even my husband, who works, and I could live in and pay for) with a w/d in-unit.  If you have one in the building, that's pretty good.  That might be one thing you'll have to give up for location.  Northwestern Law could not be in a more awesome part of Chicago, so you're going to end up paying a lot more if you want to live within walking distance. 

celarkobri

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 11:37:08 AM »
My friends live in 420 E. Ohio and they have a w/d in unit. but they're also paying about $1400 for a 900 sq ft 1 bedroom. Most single people pay around 900 to live near campus, but you won't have a w/d in unit.

all of the high rises around campus have dishwashers but none of them have pools that i know of. You've got your choice of about 5 different gyms within walking distance of school if you want a pool.

Maclock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 01:29:06 PM »
X

Maclock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 01:30:18 PM »
X

ALIBABA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 04:03:04 PM »
In any case, www.rent.net and apartments.com are good resources in Chicago.  You can find all the information for most of the high-rises on these web sites.  Then, on Admitted Students weekend, you can go visit them (but make appts beforehand).  That part of town is awesome and the buildings are gorgeous, so I'm jealous that you'd be able to afford it! 

Maclock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 09:13:42 PM »
X