Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OneL  (Read 2181 times)

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: OneL
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 08:38:36 PM »
To tell you the truth, I don't think any of the books I read as a pre-law were very accurate.

Nope.  They feed off a culture of fear.  Go to the other side of the board if you want to see the type of people who write these law school experience books.  The people who act like this are the ones who think law school is a living hell because they simply can't function without some type of self-created drama or misery in their lives.

eray01

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 12:02:14 AM »
I also think it has alot to do with selling books. It also adds to the mystique and prestige of the profession.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 07:25:27 AM »
I definitely enjoyed the book but feel it was pretty over dramatic. I am a lot more laid back about things though. There is not that competitive culture at my T4, either. I can relate to his inner struggles though, that stuff is real, the first months are crazy just trying to figure out how to play the game. I stuggle with my own concepts of sucess and failure and all that so I was able to relate to some of that he talked about. Most of the people at my school are far more laid back than I am however and I generally feel that about half my class doesn't take the law school thing very seriously at all.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 11:45:03 AM »
I definitely enjoyed the book but feel it was pretty over dramatic. I am a lot more laid back about things though. There is not that competitive culture at my T4, either. I can relate to his inner struggles though, that stuff is real, the first months are crazy just trying to figure out how to play the game. I stuggle with my own concepts of sucess and failure and all that so I was able to relate to some of that he talked about. Most of the people at my school are far more laid back than I am however and I generally feel that about half my class doesn't take the law school thing very seriously at all.

Agreed.

jd2b06

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 10:07:39 PM »
Wow am I totally outta the loop?  Never even heard of this one.  When did it come out?

jessieivy1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 11:36:21 PM »
One L is by Scott Turow and I think it came out in the mid-seventies. It's a memoir of his crazy first year at Harvard Law back in the day (like 30 years ago). 

jd2b06

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 10:23:45 PM »
Ahh I see so sort of like a Paper Chase esque deal.  Cool, thanks for the reply.

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 02:24:15 PM »
LS is worse than OneL.

bulletproof

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2006, 10:51:39 AM »
it was an interesting read, nothing more than that.

take a look:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446673781/103-3966236-6903805?v=glance&n=283155