Law School Discussion

discussing exams with profs?

discussing exams with profs?
« on: February 07, 2006, 11:34:25 AM »

Re: discussing exams with profs?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 07:00:34 PM »
Don't think about it. Do it. How much are you paying these professors whose time you don't want to "waste?"

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 09:29:01 PM »
If you got anything less than a full "A" on the exam that you did well on...absolutely meet with the professor...figuring out how to make it an A answer will only help you the next time around...even if it doesn't seem like a lot...

I almost think sometimes those are the students that professors love to meet with b/c it shows that you are really interested and invested in doing well...

even if you did get an A, meet anyway so you can make sure to repeat in classes this semester

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 03:55:39 PM »
I think you should discuss the A with your professor, only because I don't know anyone who did that, and I'm curious. 
Suggestion - don't go to the professor who gave you the great grade until the grade is official.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 08:55:50 PM »
I don't know about your school.  At ours, the grades are unofficial when first posted.  That gives the opportunity for students to go over their grades and check if there are any mathematical errors.  It does happen.  I know of at least two people who had grades adjusted up for math errors. 
I don't know if a professor would check the math if you got an A, and adjust it down, but why take the chance?  The bad grade, go over now.  The good one can wait.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 09:41:38 PM »
come on...no professor is going to second guess a grade at this point...if your school is anything like mine, when we got our exams back they had next to no comments on them...meeting with a professor in a class that you did well in only shows that you want to reaffirm what you did well...

and, if the addage is true re: an A answer cover 60% of the possible points, then it can't hurt to find out what other arguments could have been made regardless

I highly doubt any professor is going to find helping a student a waste of their time...I did well in my Torts class and I e-mailed my professor at the end of last week to ask if he would be willing to meet to go over the exam (mentioning that I was flexible and any time would work since I knew he was probably much busier than I) - he got back to me right away and we are meeting this week.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 11:26:11 AM »
If you got an A... then you already know what you did right... exactly what you put down.  I'd only be concerned with the bad ones.  Plus all you're gonna get with the A professor is a strange look and a secret wandering as to why an A student decided to sit down and waste his time... thinking to himself what do they want a cookie?  A pat on the back?  They got their A why are they here.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 12:10:20 PM »
This just occurred to me. 
Nobody goes to talk to professors after they get an A.  I didn't, why should I?
But somewhere down the line, you might need academic recommendations.  For instance, if you decide you want to apply for federal clerkships.  Now what?  Most of the professors who gave you A's have no idea who you are or even that you got an A in their class.  It might be a good idea to establish some contact that will be helpful in the long run. 

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 11:06:30 AM »
If you got an A... then you already know what you did right... exactly what you put down.  I'd only be concerned with the bad ones.  Plus all you're gonna get with the A professor is a strange look and a secret wandering as to why an A student decided to sit down and waste his time... thinking to himself what do they want a cookie?  A pat on the back?  They got their A why are they here.

This is the most backward thinking I've ever encountered. Do you honestly think that the reasons behind one's success are irrelevant to understanding those behind failure? If that was the case, I really don't know how a human being could ever learn anything at all.