Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone else finding this semester more horrible than last (for 1Ls)?  (Read 1022 times)

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
I just can't get motivated this semester.  I have no interest in school, and the more I go, the more I dislike it.  I don't mean that I'm thinking of quitting or anything, I just really hate this semester more than last semester.  Anyone else feeling like this?

midnight thursday

• View Profile
Re: Anyone else finding this semester more horrible than last (for 1Ls)?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 12:16:08 AM »
I know how you feel. This semester just doesn't have the "new-ness" and excitement that last semester had. There's one class that I like, but everything else ranges from tolerable to suicide-inducing boredom. I can't get excited about the classes or reading. I'm still doing the reading but it's hard.

I'm absolutely not thinking of dropping out either. I'm actually looking forward to doing some kind of legal work this summer. I want to be a lawyer but I just can't get motivated this semester.

I thought getting decent grades my first semester would make me feel better, but now I have to worry about keeping them up or hopefully improving.

qaz123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 12:28:31 AM »
i HATED last semester and this semester is 1000x worse.  the only upside is that now i dont do any reading other than e&e's since that is all that helped me on exams last semester and i did well. 

midnight thursday

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 07:09:27 PM »
To O.P.
If it makes you feel any better, it seems like most 1Ls feel the same way. Everybody I've talked to has had problems getting motivated. It's like they're not fully recovered from last semester and are still emotionally drained.

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 10:19:10 PM »
To O.P.
If it makes you feel any better, it seems like most 1Ls feel the same way. Everybody I've talked to has had problems getting motivated. It's like they're not fully recovered from last semester and are still emotionally drained.

This is completely true. I had dinner with one of the top students in my section (and probably the whole class) tonight and I was shocked to hear her say basically what the previous post stated. She said that she already feels exhausted and it is only Monday night.

I rallied this afternoon, but I'm struggling to get through my reading for tomorrow.

Personally, I think it is because none of the professors are easing us into it anymore. As soon as we got back from winter break, it has been full speed ahead. We're expected to know what to do, do they spend less time with the kid gloves.

Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

plumbert

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 02:09:51 AM »
Times like this, I'm really glad there is LSD.

I, too, have found myself surprisingly disinterested in schoolwork this semester. I am spending less time briefing and reading than I should, and certainly less than I did last semester. I think this will only be temporary, but I'd rather do just about *anything* than case briefing or LRW writing--last night I cleaned the fans in my apartment rather than read Civ Pro!

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 02:23:07 AM »
I am having an easier time this semester actually. It is wierd though because for the first 2 weeks of class I couldn't even get myself out of bed to go buy books. A month off spent mostly with friends at the bar absolutely killed me. I couldn't for the life of me get motivated. Then something just clicked and ever since I've been in a nice groove. With six classes it is pretty easy to get into a routine and stick with it, albeit a grind. Hopefully this weekend I can crank out my appellate brief and be done with it.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 08:27:59 PM »
there simply isn't enough time in my day to deal with the amount of work that been thurst upon me this semester. granted, some of it is self-inflicted (mock trial on sat.) but LRW has presented a constant procession of memo assignments and the corresponding oral arguments - the profs are even more socratic than they were last sem. and the reading load is intense. i'm enjoying being an 1L and learning about the law, but somehow can't wait until the entire first year of LS school thing is over ... 2 1/2 more months!