Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My Savior Duckasouras  (Read 10911 times)

aloha737pilot

• View Profile
Re: My Savior Duckasouras
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2006, 10:07:13 PM »
To all who shall see these presents, greeting: Know ye that reposing special trust and confidence in the patriotism, valor, fidelity, and abilities of "Duckasourus" I do appoint him/her as "Special Counsel" for the Distance Education Law Schools Discussion Board, to rank as such from the twelfth day of February, 2006.
This "Special Counsel" will therefore carefully and diligently discharge the duties of the office to which appointed by doing and performing all manner of things thereunto belonging.

And I do strictly charge and require those counselors and other personnel of lesser rank to render such obedience as is due a counselor of this grade and position. And this counselor is to observe and follow orders and directions, from time to time, as may be given by the President of the Distance Education Law Schools Discussion Board, or other superior officers acting in accordance with the laws of the Distance Education Law Schools Discussion Board.

This commission is to continue in force during the pleasure of the President of the Distance Education Law Schools Discussion Board under the provisions of those public laws relating to officers of the Distance Education Law Schools Discussion Board and the component thereof in which this appointment is made. In accordance with the by laws of the Distance Education Law Schools Discussion Board, this appointee will be entitled to "Special Counsel" parking at all Chuck E. Cheese's restaurants nationwide.

Done at the City of Frostbite Falls, this twelfth day of February in the year of our Lord two thousand and six.

By the President

Rocket J. Squirrel, Esq.

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2006, 11:09:33 AM »
im sorry if u have a fake degree, I love my real degree and hate that idiots try to get a fake law degree but I can go to any state and take the bar there, you can NOT take the bar anywhere you want from a fake school.

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2006, 02:29:11 PM »
you must go to a really crappy law school bc although I agree there are some peeps who talk forever wo knowing what they are saying or what a case is about, in class participation is still very important.  I am guessing from your posts your at a tier 4 or online school and although alot of time in class may be wasted its still much better than a fake law degree online.

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2006, 05:25:01 PM »
you must go to a really crappy law school bc although I agree there are some peeps who talk forever wo knowing what they are saying or what a case is about, in class participation is still very important.  I am guessing from your posts your at a tier 4 or online school and although alot of time in class may be wasted its still much better than a fake law degree online.

actually, it is a T3 school Duckasoreass...maybe that makes it better than some options, maybe that makes it worse than other options...I guess it comes down to the individual reasons that all of us have for going...

You might be happy to know that we do have a few students at that school who are just as bitter about life as you are though...

But really duck, why are you the self-appointed savior of all those who might choose a different option than you chose?

We all have misgivings about other options. I could have gone to a tier 1 school, but in this state the difference in job opportunities did not justify the extra 100K I would have had to borrow...does that mean it is wrong for others to go that path...of course not. Some want to pay the extra money for the "prestige" of that name. Others might discount my decision, but at my age I didn't want to take a 30K risk as to how good my 1L grades would be. Turns out they may be good enough to get me into a T14 school...or I may still decide that I don't want the debt. Either way there are +s and -s.

Same with DL - there are pros and cons...but once someone weighs those, and chooses DL for themself, why do you feel the need to harass them over the decision? It is one thing to help inform people as to the negatives of DL, it is another thing entirely to demean their decisions to go that route...

As long as you maintain doing the latter, your views will continue to have the same credibility lack of credibility that they do now...

Nontradstudent

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2006, 10:17:05 PM »
I will jump into the fray as well.  Perhaps the best articulated complaint against DL is that there isn't any networking with peers.  There actually is quite a bit. We meet for classes and discussion online with a professor in real time. There are also small groups of people who may meet in person to study together. I also get quite a bit of help from attorney friends.   DL students, at least at NWCU, have an letter from the school requesting library priveleges at law libraries.  I have never had any trouble using any of the libraries at law schools in the Bay Area.

I think many on this board are tired of people who are not students at DL schools posting here with the intention of degrading DL.  If you don't like DL degrees, fine, don't get one.

aloha737pilot

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2006, 06:12:07 AM »
I'm glad you showed up Nontradstudent, it is good to see someone else is out there, probably just as amazed at the ignorance and intolerance of some people as I am. Our friend Texas is a breath of fresh air to speak the less popular truth from his side of the fence. I suspect that he is not someone who does something because everyone else is doing it. He seems like a person who thinks for himself and can recognize that intelligent people make choices and don't care what others think.

Isn't it great that this board gets so much input from people who are not DL students? What possible reason would they have for spending all their time on this board attempting to degrade people, other students of law, who have decided to take a different path than they did? I have the greatest admiration for anyone who chooses to advance their education through whatever means. Law study is a higher calling, and the general public views legal professionals as somewhat of an elite group. It is not good when the legal students, not yet legal professionals, start to consider themselves elite. 

I hope the few people who have continued to make their feeble assaults on this board don't discourage other DL students from participating. I will be here to answer any questions that I may answer for any DL student that has a question. If I can't answer their question, I will try to find someone who can.

I really do like hearing from students at traditional law schools who have input that is useful to the distance learner. The less than helpful should be happy to be in law school and content with their personal choice to study law. I would feel good about it if I was in their place, but I would not consider myself superior to anyone. I would feel humbled to be in the footsteps of the many intelligent, successful legal professionals that have gone before me.

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2006, 09:01:18 AM »
its not that I feel better than you as much as I am insulted you make a joke out of becoming a lawyer.  By claiming a non ABA school is just as good as an ABA law school is just ridiculous.  Does Concord try to become ABA approved, you bet, but they can't.  Look at the bar pass rates from non ABA schools and you will see the simple truth that their students are not smart enough to pass the bar.  PS I got my pilots license through a spam email so I will be flying next to you any day now. 

VirtualJD

• View Profile
all this discussion
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2006, 02:28:16 PM »
Ignorance and intolerance aside, Concord students did arrange for Justice Scalia to speak to the Concord student body last year.  Ignorance and intolerance are at the root of a number of social ills and with time those that are ignorant and intolerant are forced to change or become closet bigots

Up to a point, the school you attend does make a difference.  I've spoken with people in a number of professions, including the law, who got their jobs because of the school they attended.  It wasn't that they went to a top 10 or top 25 school.  It might have been a T2 or T3 school and they got the job because they attended the same school as the hiring partner.  After you've got the job, in law as in many fields it doesn't matter if you attended Harvard or Concord, the degrees or certifications you hold carry much less meaning than your ability to do the job and do it well.

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2006, 02:34:50 PM »
I agree after you get a job your school doesnt matter as much but firms can never ignore a non aba degree.  The simple truth is that malpractice insurance is extremelly expensive and fake law degrees only make that price sky rocket.  There are soo many bad law schools that are still ABA that the people who can not get into them have no business being in law school.  You may disagree with me but look at the bar passage rates from fake schools.

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2006, 05:22:10 PM »
I agree after you get a job your school doesnt matter as much but firms can never ignore a non aba degree.  The simple truth is that malpractice insurance is extremelly expensive and fake law degrees only make that price sky rocket.  There are soo many bad law schools that are still ABA that the people who can not get into them have no business being in law school.  You may disagree with me but look at the bar passage rates from fake schools.

What is really sad is that the guys over on XOXO have found this thread, and even they think you are losing this discussion...