Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My Savior Duckasouras  (Read 10715 times)

aloha737pilot

• View Profile
Re: My Savior Duckasouras
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2006, 07:13:35 AM »
Mesquite, welcome to the Distance Education Law School board, where we fellow distance law students can learn from each others experiences and contribute to the overall great experience of studying law. Lincoln is my hero, by the way, but John Marshall, I believe the third Supreme Court Chief Justice "read the law" for one month before being admitted to the bar, obviously an exception to the rule. Other Supreme Court justices of the time read the law for up to four years before being admitted to the bar. The four year time frame sounds a little more realistic. Anyway, it is a pleasure to have you on board. Please don't hesitate to post questions or experiences, or anything you can offer. At times your postings may be subject to the unwanted advice or ridicule of people who don't have the same motivations as we distance learners. Don't be discouraged by it, and rest assured that we recognize the source of the ill will toward our new and innovative method of law study. It shouldn't take long before most of them take a distance learning law course themselves, and realize that the study of law is more dynamic than they ever thought.

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2006, 10:02:17 AM »
anyone who believes that you cannot get as good of an education online vs. in class...is either deceived, or simply hasn't attended law school yet.

Sitting in class does nothing to teach you law...especially when you are having to listen to those in class, who spent less time reading than you did, fumbling around trying not to look stupid. Then there are those who just don't get the law but don't realize it...so they are always volunteering in class when in fact they have nothing to offer.
In fairness there are days when the teacher may explain a particularly thorny issue (such as the Erie Doctrine) but then anyone who didn't understand that via the case law could have read the same explaination in the E&E.
Whether or not employers are ready to recognize Distance Learning is a different issue, but really, the least effective portion of my law education occurs in class...

aloha737pilot

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2006, 05:27:59 PM »
Texas, I have taken graduate classes online and in the classroom and some were good and some weren't. The early attempts of some instructors to do an online class were not that well conceived, but nowadays the technology is great. Classroom attendance is good with a professor who shows up all the time and is prepared to teach. I hated when I drove to school only to find the professor could not make it. It didn't happen very often, but it sure doesn't happen online. The fellow students who feel the need to totally dominate the professor's time with endless questions and personal anecdotes can wear you down pretty quick. I look forward to taking some electives later on in the program from other law schools online and in residence.

I read about the Erie Doctrine in some of my recent reading before entering the program. I think I get to look at that more next year in Civil Procedure, for me it is a 2L class.

Thanks for your post.     

spanky jonez

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2006, 06:48:41 PM »
I think with a DL law degree you are selling yourself short.  Law school is more than just about class time.  Other than classes law schools offer:

-An alumni network
-Moot court
-Law review
-Career services
-A sense of community and belonging
-A library
-Guest speakers and all sorts of programs and symposiums
-Study groups
-Motivation to attend class (due to professors noticing absences)
-Actual office hours with professors

Plus, with an ABA school your chances of passing the bar are far greater, employment prospects are better.  And finally, while professors may be archaic, that is something that you will encounter with judges.  Students might say stupid things, but so will co-counsel.  Being in a classroom environment will help you prepare for and tolerate these things.

If you graduate from an ABA school you can practice anywhere, not one of the handful of states that allow for non-ABA degrees.  Also, I would venture a guess that the caliber of students are traditional schools is far higher than that of DL schools, and thus quality the debate and class discussion will be far greater.

Now, I am not saying that there are people who can benefit from a DL law school, and even a couple that might pass the bar.  But to say they are the equivalent of brick and mortar schools is false.

Also, when Marshall did his apprenticeship, barbers were also doctors, and would bleed people and apply leaches.  That doesn’t make it applicable today.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2006, 06:54:34 PM »
Valid points are being made on both sides (no I am not referring to any of the baseless name calling or conclusory statements that seem to haunt this thread).  Like Texas pointed out above, there is definately an issue with potential employers recognizing the value or worth of an online education... but this detriment can be disregarded if you are pursuing a law degree for the reasons pilot has expressed.  I attend a brick and mortar law school in Chicago and I have to say, attending class is next to worthless.  As was pointed out above, a good portion of the class period is spent listening to those few students who love to hear themselves talk, but have very little substance, or relevance, behind any statements they make (I'm sure we all can relate to 2 or 3 of those students).

My biggest knock on distance schools is the lack of interaction with your peers.  Networking for your legal career is done in class and out of class in social functions with your section.  I believe that it would be very difficult to build any kind of lasting relationship with "classmates" that you may share a chat room with, or however those classes are run.  Again, if you already have established a solid network of contacts within your profession, this point could be disregarded.  

I actually have no idea why I chimed in here, other than boredom from researching my LRW assignment... but there's my 2 cents.
pudding is delightful

aloha737pilot

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2006, 12:48:57 AM »
-An alumni network (Agreed, online schools are new, alumni network small)
-Moot court (Does everyone at brick and mortar school participate in Moot Court?)
-Law review ( "     "       "   "    "    " 

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2006, 01:08:15 PM »
But there are advantages to those people who choose the DL programs,

UM NO, the price may be less but you are paying for a fake degree, and you live in Hawaii but your degree will NOT let you practice there so its a waste of time and money.

aloha737pilot

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2006, 05:39:14 PM »
Hi Ducky,

How is it going buddy? I guess this thread wouldn't have it's name if it weren't for you. It just wouldn't be the same if you didn't grace us with your wit and wisdom every once in a while. Keep us on our toes by dropping in every once in a while, will you? By the way, your nickname, Duckasouras, were you going for a sort of funny sounding dinosaur type of name? Shouldn't you have spelled it Duckasaurus? The other way is pronounced duck-a-SOUR-us. You aren't sour, you're SPICY.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2006, 06:26:35 PM »
You aren't sour, you're SPICY.

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!
check the footnotes ya'll

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2006, 09:20:29 PM »
i have a license to practice law and can go to any state i want, which is something your sour ass can never do!!!!