Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will One Bad Grade Kill Me?  (Read 4333 times)

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
Re: Will One Bad Grade Kill Me?
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 07:17:33 PM »
I was in top 30% at T4 school with grading curve harder than yours and transferred to Loyola New Orleans this term (Tier 3 with mid tier 1 avg starting salaries).

A 3.0 is gold for law schools among the 3rd tier looking for transfer students and to a limited extent, the 1st tier. 
Dont worry about that C-.  One wont break you (I know people who transferred with a single D) but take LEEWS if you have to (www.leews.com) so that doesnt happen again...

In a nutshell, you are "so out" of your T4 dude in my opinion.  Just dont bomb your second term and enjoy your summer.

Thanks everyone for your advice/opinions. I've contacted a few schools and have received mixed results:

Baltimore: looking for a C to C+ average
Rutgers-Newark: looking for a B average
Widener PA: looking for top 33%
Duquesne: didn't take any last year, took 7 the year before
Pitt: top 20%
PSU: alumni status helps but not significantly; "solid academic performance" required...told me nothing I didn't know before calling.

I wonder if Widener's "top third" requirement has something to do with the possibility that a large number of people attempting to transfer there are from lower end T4's or non-ABA accredited schools. Yet Rutgers wants a B average...

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 09:03:26 PM »
Yeah I can't believe that more people don't want to transfer to Rutgers. I mean there are so many cool things and activities to get involved in. I for one enjoy the smell and if I feel like a midnight stroll downtown, there always the added excitement of a potential mugging...

Don't worry about that C-. You'll be fine at most schools.

I was in top 30% at T4 school with grading curve harder than yours and transferred to Loyola New Orleans this term (Tier 3 with mid tier 1 avg starting salaries).

A 3.0 is gold for law schools among the 3rd tier looking for transfer students and to a limited extent, the 1st tier. 
Dont worry about that C-.  One wont break you (I know people who transferred with a single D) but take LEEWS if you have to (www.leews.com) so that doesnt happen again...

In a nutshell, you are "so out" of your T4 dude in my opinion.  Just dont bomb your second term and enjoy your summer.

Thanks everyone for your advice/opinions. I've contacted a few schools and have received mixed results:

PSU: alumni status helps but not significantly; "solid academic performance" required...told me nothing I didn't know before calling.

I wonder if Widener's "top third" requirement has something to do with the possibility that a large number of people attempting to transfer there are from lower end T4's or non-ABA accredited schools. Yet Rutgers wants a B average...

Senior Belding

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 02:46:26 PM »
"3. I think the PSU name does help to a certain extent. Instead of being rejected outright, I was deferred despite having a LSAT score about 4-6 points below the average."

Well i am assuming that since you are a PSU alum, you have instate status. I would say that helps more. A school can hand out as many waitlists as they want.

Dont go to loyola-new orleans. You will be constantly mocked for beign a tulane wannabe. Even the locals think its a community college.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 04:29:37 PM »
Air Force JAG Corps

Senior Belding

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 02:42:06 AM »
Yeah i think you summed it up

In general they want instate b/c of quotas and such, but the degree of bias varies from school to school

I know UNC and texas are the biggest instate whores. UGA isnt bad though...if you have numbers in their range, you can get in regardless.

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 04:44:10 PM »
"3. I think the PSU name does help to a certain extent. Instead of being rejected outright, I was deferred despite having a LSAT score about 4-6 points below the average."

Well i am assuming that since you are a PSU alum, you have instate status. I would say that helps more. A school can hand out as many waitlists as they want.

Dont go to loyola-new orleans. You will be constantly mocked for beign a tulane wannabe. Even the locals think its a community college.

So I guess you know what you're talking about with Loyola. How come half of the Louisiana Supreme court went to Loyola? Are they Tulane wannabes?

Are you even from New Orleans? Have you even been there?

I think that's a huge misimpression about Loyola. It's very respected in and around New  Orleans and Louisiana as a whole. The median starting salary for Loyola is in the mid-70s. And over 90 percent of Loyola grads are employed AT graduation. However, it's the USNWR rankings that give it a bad rep to people like yourself who just look at a number.

Tulane is a very good school, but by your thinking, then if someone attends say Florida State instead of Florida, then they're just Florida wannabes?

Or if someone goes to Hofstra instead of NYU, then they're just NYU wannabes.

The fact of the matter is that most of the kids that go to Loyola New Orleans are from New Orleans and Louisiana, and most of the kids that go from Tulane are from up north. So by your logic everyone that goes to Loyola are just Yankee wanabees.

I've heard really great things about Loyola, especially since they're part of a larger network of schools. They are certainly in a much better financial and infrastructural position post-Katrina, too.

Senior Belding

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 07:55:34 PM »

[/quote]

So I guess you know what you're talking about with Loyola. How come half of the Louisiana Supreme court went to Loyola? Are they Tulane wannabes?

Are you even from New Orleans? Have you even been there?

I think that's a huge misimpression about Loyola. It's very respected in and around New  Orleans and Louisiana as a whole. The median starting salary for Loyola is in the mid-70s. And over 90 percent of Loyola grads are employed AT graduation. However, it's the USNWR rankings that give it a bad rep to people like yourself who just look at a number.

Tulane is a very good school, but by your thinking, then if someone attends say Florida State instead of Florida, then they're just Florida wannabes?

Or if someone goes to Hofstra instead of NYU, then they're just NYU wannabes.

The fact of the matter is that most of the kids that go to Loyola New Orleans are from New Orleans and Louisiana, and most of the kids that go from Tulane are from up north. So by your logic everyone that goes to Loyola are just Yankee wanabees.

[/quote]

Actually i should probobaly apologize for that last comment. I have a buddy who goes to loyola-NOLA and he posts here sometimes. I was hoping he'd see it. Anyway, I definitely give oyu credit for sticking up for Loyola.

Your point is valid. Loyola students and tulane students pretty much desire separate end results from their law schooling. However, while loyola students are on the whole not tulane "wannabees", the difference between the two schools is much greater than the florida-florida state schism. Loyola does well in new orleans and louisiana, for sure.

And yes im from new orleans (harvey actually)

I assume you go to loyola...are you guys on the crazy 6 day a week class schedule like tulane too?

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 08:36:03 PM »
Air Force JAG Corps

remedy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 12:17:40 AM »

Baltimore's "requirements" seem pretty funny to me!

eachgameofchess

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2006, 09:52:38 AM »
We arent on a crazy 6 day schedule.  Its class like usual for both 1st years and upper years like myself

Us "Tulane wannabes" (and after going to Tulane for undergrad and experiencing Loyola- I am proud to say I DIDNT go back) mostly went to Houston and had class while Tulane was on the lamb.

I of course wasnt at Houston since I just transferred for this term but things are great from where I stand.

Lets see- do I miss Cooley?  Heck no (but the friends are missed of course)

Regards,
Brian