Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will One Bad Grade Kill Me?  (Read 4099 times)

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
Will One Bad Grade Kill Me?
« on: February 04, 2006, 10:36:27 PM »
I'm currently at a T4 ranked in the top 40% of my class with a 3.0 GPA. My grades are A-, B+, B+, C-. I think the C- is reflective of a few things: last final of the semester, didn't feel comfortable with the material, sub-par professor. I'm going to apply to a few T3 schools, PSU (alum), and a T4.
Let's say that next semester I'm able to pull off a 3.3 to 3.6. Do you think those schools might look at my C- as an anomaly and use my other grades in order to make a decision? I realize that my GPA and Class Rank will still reflect my low grade, however I'm wondering whether schools will overlook a lower GPA/rank if the vast majority of my grades are a B+ or higher...

tjking82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will One Bad Grade Kill Me?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 11:27:45 AM »
Here's my response.

Why aim for a 3.3 to a 3.6?  If you pulled a 3.8+, you could say "I've grown, I've learned, I've dedicated myself and I've excelled."

Doubtless a C- is going to loom badly for any school in the top two tiers, and even some T3s.  Transferring up is an honor, and few schools want an average T4 student.

If you want to transfer up, you really need to put your all into it (it's only a couple of months) and prove that you're not an "average T4 student."  Then you'll have options.

Senior Belding

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 11:53:41 AM »
Okay, I just want to point out that "PSU" law is only penn state in name only. It is dickenson college, through and through.

Having being a penn state alumni will most likely not help you at all there.

And why you would want to go to carlisle PA is beyond me

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 12:43:46 PM »
Okay, I just want to point out that "PSU" law is only penn state in name only. It is dickenson college, through and through.

Not true.  The campus is in Carlisle, but this year they are opening a dual campus at State College.  They will operate a dual campus for a few years, and then, rumor has it, the Dickinson campus will phase out.

True Carlisle is a boring town, but PSU has great job placement in Baltimore, Philly, and Harrisburg.  I think it is a T2 gem, and am considering a transfer to PSU.

[Currently at T4, top 15%]

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 12:50:43 PM »
OP what is the average GPA at your school.

Senior Belding

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 03:59:41 AM »

Not true.  The campus is in Carlisle, but this year they are opening a dual campus at State College.  They will operate a dual campus for a few years, and then, rumor has it, the Dickinson campus will phase out.

True Carlisle is a boring town, but PSU has great job placement in Baltimore, Philly, and Harrisburg.  I think it is a T2 gem, and am considering a transfer to PSU.

[Currently at T4, top 15%]

Then I must agree that if this comes to fruition, PSU will rise to mid seventies in the near future. In ten years it will be tier 1.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 12:25:34 PM »
Few things...

1. Avg GPA is a 2.73 at our school, I've already asked for LOR's from two of my professors who said that they would both write "very good" letters on my behalf. My former employer will also be writing a letter as well.
2. I'm aiming for a 4.0, however I'm estimating that provided I don't have another major blunder, that I should get anywhere from a 3.3-3.6. Just because I'm being realistic doesn't mean I'm not working my tail off in the process. If I don't get a 4.0, or even a 3.8, it's not for lack of trying.
3. I think the PSU name does help to a certain extent. Instead of being rejected outright, I was deferred despite having a LSAT score about 4-6 points below the average.
4. If I went to PSU, I'd live in Harrisburg, not Carlisle. Without the PSU name, you don't see as many people applying there. From what I've heard, PSU Dickinson will remain the lone law school for about 20 years, then they'll switch to a dual campus.
5. Prestige is among the least of my concerns. On the other hand, location is my #1 reason for wanting to transfer. If I could move my school about 300 miles east, I would do it in a heartbeat. I will be content with a lateral transfer, will be very happy to get into PSU...however if I get into the T3 that I want to go to, I would go there over PSU

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 04:55:50 PM »
"I'm aiming for a 4.0..."

Join the f-ing club.
Air Force JAG Corps

eachgameofchess

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 05:07:01 PM »
I was in top 30% at T4 school with grading curve harder than yours and transferred to Loyola New Orleans this term (Tier 3 with mid tier 1 avg starting salaries).

A 3.0 is gold for law schools among the 3rd tier looking for transfer students and to a limited extent, the 1st tier. 
Dont worry about that C-.  One wont break you (I know people who transferred with a single D) but take LEEWS if you have to (www.leews.com) so that doesnt happen again...

In a nutshell, you are "so out" of your T4 dude in my opinion.  Just dont bomb your second term and enjoy your summer.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 06:23:06 PM »
John Marshall in Chicago?

I was in top 30% at T4 school with grading curve harder than yours and transferred to Loyola New Orleans this term (Tier 3 with mid tier 1 avg starting salaries).

A 3.0 is gold for law schools among the 3rd tier looking for transfer students and to a limited extent, the 1st tier. 
Dont worry about that C-.  One wont break you (I know people who transferred with a single D) but take LEEWS if you have to (www.leews.com) so that doesnt happen again...

In a nutshell, you are "so out" of your T4 dude in my opinion.  Just dont bomb your second term and enjoy your summer.