Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Big Leap?  (Read 820 times)

abogada99

• View Profile
The Big Leap?
« on: February 03, 2006, 05:01:25 PM »

I'm a 1L at an adequately "reputable" (whatever that means) T4 school in the Midwest.  I finished last semester at the very top of my class with straight A's. 

I know the question has been asked ad nauseam on this board in the past, but I'm trying to discern what my chances are of transferring in to a T1 school (assuming I perform well this semester).  I'm satisfied with the law school I'm currently attending but feel as though I should at least inquire about other opportunities.

My UGPA was 3.87, but my LSAT score was only 159.  I know I could've attended a T2 or T3 orignally, but the scholarship I was offered was just too good to turn down.

Am I doomed for attending a T4?  Or will a T1 at least look at my transfer application if I continue to perform well?

Any relevant thoughts and/or experiences anyone has on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

Senior Belding

• View Profile
Re: The Big Leap?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 06:23:49 PM »
MY advice to you is only my personal experience:

There's no need to transfer to a T2 or T3 unless it will get you a better job in the geography you want.

However, your LSAT and grades seem good enough for a lower tier 1 ANYWAY, so I say go for that.

I am at a tier 1, between 25-50 with a relatively "national" name and have had no problem with getting serious leads for a 1L firm job. However, I am an IP person so my experience might be different.

Point being, transfer as high as you can go. Dont just transfer to a T2 or T3 unless its a significantly better school in your geography (i.e. something like going from washburn to KU law)

Good luck!