Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Personal Statement  (Read 1853 times)

jimhat

• View Profile
    • Email
Personal Statement
« on: February 02, 2006, 03:27:24 PM »
So, like everyone else in the world, I'm applying to GULC EA.  I am actually applying for personal reasons over "wanting to move up the ranks." My wife is applying to grad school in DC, I want to practice international law, my mother-in-law was recently widowed and lives in DC, so we want to be near her.  Should I mention these aspects in my p/s? Or should I write a letter to the ad com? Please advise... thanks.

shamrock13

• View Profile
Re: Personal Statement
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 04:11:11 PM »
What school are you currently attending and how did you do first semester? 

jimhat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 04:29:03 PM »
villanova, 3.55 (all 5 courses had exams), got an A in my writing class. estimated top 10-15% of my class.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 11:39:25 PM »
Hey, I am in the same boat...my wife is getting moved to DC for work, so i am trying to head to Georgetown, don't know if it is possible, but we will see. 

beefeater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 12:19:55 AM »
Kilroy, I am doing the same.  Do you mind sharing your numbers?  By the way does anyone happen to know whether G-town is concerned with undergrad performance and LSAT, or is it pretty much all about LS performance and quality of LS when it comes to transfer admissions?

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 12:35:11 AM »
Yeah, I would like to know the same. 

Law GPA 3.47 Top 12% at a so called tier two.

beefeater

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 12:42:21 AM »
I have a 3.8 at the bottom of T1, but my undergrad gpa was extremely poor, but hopefully it won't hurt me too bad.  Good luck to you.  It sounds like tons of people are trying to transfer to Georgetown, so the competition will be tough.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 12:45:52 AM »
It looks like it, but hopefully I can woo them with "i have no choice angle."  I am also hoping that being a research assistant for a former prosecutor at the Hague will aid me, since I am interested in International criminal law.  Otherwise, there are plenty to pick from in DC.  I will also be applying to American and GW.  How about yourself?

beefeater

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 01:01:25 AM »
I am not sure yet, maybe GW, but probably not American.  I am really just hoping/planning on Georgetown and trying not to think about second options at this point.  Do you know of any other students at your school looking to transfer?  I don't know if it's just my imagination or what, but it seems like there are thousands of people trying to transfer to Georgetown.  I do think you have a good chance with your LS performance, international experience, and compelling reasons to transfer.  If not G-town, then GW and American for sure.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 01:12:48 AM »
As far as my class, i think i am one of maybe 5 even transfering, and the only one that I know of heading to DC.  I think a lot of people say they are trying to transfer, but in the end they don't or realize they don't have a compelling reason too.  But who knows.