Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Personal Statement  (Read 1801 times)

beefeater

• View Profile
Re: Personal Statement
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 01:17:12 AM »
That is probably true, but it does seem like transferring is becoming more and more popular, thus making it tougher and tougher to do. 

S|

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 11:16:27 AM »
While this may be incorrect, your perception of transfering becoming more popular could be caused by your increasing interest in transfering. Additionally, you have to think that the people on this board are not representative of the law school population as a whole.

One caveat, I do believe that transfer numbers have been going up over the past 10 years, not sure about the last 2-3 though. If you could provide those numbers to prove me wrong, that would be great :)

AmericanConsumer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 01:37:15 AM »
While this may be incorrect, your perception of transfering becoming more popular could be caused by your increasing interest in transfering. Additionally, you have to think that the people on this board are not representative of the law school population as a whole.

One caveat, I do believe that transfer numbers have been going up over the past 10 years, not sure about the last 2-3 though. If you could provide those numbers to prove me wrong, that would be great :)

There's some indirect stuff you can look at that leads me to believe it's becoming more popular... there was an article in the rankings edition of US News last year that dealt with transferring.  They interviewed the Dean of Admissions at GULC and I believe he said that they were receiving more apps.  Also the fact that the article was in US News probably means that transferring is becoming more mainstream.  Plus the yahoo group seems to be have experienced an increase in the number of posts between this year and last, which could be an indication of increased interest in transferring.  I've been told by more than a couple of people that transferring really wasn't all that common until about 5 years ago. 

I'd also be interested in seeing hard numbers.  But I'd be willing to bet that transfer applications are up by at least several hundred percent over the last 10 years.

beefeater

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 11:51:47 AM »
I totally agree.  I also think because of the US News article, word of mouth, and the EA option that G'town, in particular, has seen a tremendous increase in transfer applications.  Therefore, in spite of having a good number of spots available for transfers, I think G'town is extremely hard to get into as a transfer student.  In fact, if you like at the yahoo transfer group, you will notice that a number of students were accepted as transfers to NYU, Columbia, and Penn, but were rejected by G'town.