Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law and Philosophy  (Read 626 times)

arhodg

• View Profile
    • Email
Law and Philosophy
« on: February 01, 2006, 09:15:55 PM »
I am a grad student taking a law scool class and was wondering if anyone could recommend a book that gives an overview or outline of Law and Philosophy.  We're using Lloyd's Intoduction to Jurisprudence, if that makes any difference.

I always attend class and take notes, but I am worried about taking my first law school exam and I think it would be great to have a basic outline to summarize the important principles, if one exists.

Thanks!

nate

• View Profile
Re: Law and Philosophy
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 11:23:17 PM »
do they grade grad students on the same curve as the law students in the class?
GW

arhodg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:58:13 PM »
Yea, well, at least they did for the last one I took.

They are both seminars for 2/3Ls though (6-10 people), so slightly different from the larger classes.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:35:16 AM »
i imagine it would be hard going from a merit-based grading system to a strict law school curve. though you are right, the upper level classes are much different than 1L classes.

did you find a good supplement/outline? from my limited experience in law school (1L), i'm not convinced outlines and supplements help that much. most people that i know who did very well took what they knew, after learning as much as they could on their own, and focused on mastering that for exams. they did a lot better than people who knew a wide variety of more limited information. if i was you i might just focus on learning it as best you can, talking to the professor about it as much as possible, even reading outside materials that further details your knowledge on the matter. being a grad student, you're probably already good at that.

so really, i'm not convinved those over-generalized supplements help an incredible amount, unless you need specific help with certain areas that you don't understand.
GW

arhodg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »
Thanks!  I may try that out.