Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer Advice  (Read 2854 times)

fiveten

• View Profile
    • Email
Transfer Advice
« on: January 30, 2006, 05:21:48 PM »
Ok, I finally got my class ranks in and now am looking for some advice.

I currently attend Washburn University in Kansas (3rd Tier), have a 3.73 GPA, and am ranked 9/141.  My undergard GPA was 2.58 and LSAT score of 153.  I have no desire to practice law in Kansas and am planning on practicing law in Texas.

So the schools I am considering transferring to are University of Texas, University of Houston, South Texas College of Law, and Texas Tech.

I am also planning to apply to any schools that have early actions programs.  Aside from Georgetown, are there any other schools that will look at first semester grades?

If anyone has any advice or encouragements please respond.

Thanks

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 05:42:11 PM »
Where in texas do you want to work...it makes a big differnce...

I would think that your class rank and LSAT would get you into Tech without any problem at all...and it is a solid school...if you do that well there (top 10-15%) you can still get a very high paying job...

I think UofH is a good possibility as well, and your odds of landing a high paying job are better (because of the Houston market), but it depends on if you would be happy there...same for S.Texas

Honestly I think UT may be a reach...your class rank gives you a leg up on the competititon, but there 25/75 LSAT split is around 162/166...

Overall because of cost I'd say that Tech and UofH are your best bets...

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 06:55:27 PM »
Your LSAT and UGPA really don't matter anymore.
The law schools used that to judge your potential as a law student.

Now that you've proven yourself, being in the top 15% of your class, it's clear that you "get" law school. That is all schools will look at when looking at your app.

There are plenty of people who have jumped from TTT to T1, I would say that Texas is a realistic shot. I don't know their admit numbers for transfer students but if you keep the grades up next semester, no reason why Texas isn't within your reach.

Anyway, good luck.
Air Force JAG Corps

AmericanConsumer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 07:22:13 PM »
Your LSAT and UGPA really don't matter anymore.
The law schools used that to judge your potential as a law student.

Absolutely 100% correct.  Nobody cares about your LSAT anymore.

The only things that matter are your class rank and the quality of school you're at.

jjason

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 03:37:56 PM »
Well, I hate to say this, but there are a few stickler schools that will look at LSAT/UGPA in addition to your law school work. Those most competitive schools state on their website that you are a candidate for transfer if you were a likely first-year admit. For example, UNC School of Law (#27 USNWR) states the following on the transfer page of their website:

"To be competitive for admission, transfer applicants should be originally admissible to the School of Law and be performing superior academic work at their current law school."

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 03:58:16 PM »
Harvard and UNC are the only ones who care about predictors, to my knowledge

fiveten

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 04:17:41 PM »
For example, UNC School of Law (#27 USNWR) states the following on the transfer page of their website:

"To be competitive for admission, transfer applicants should be originally admissible to the School of Law and be performing superior academic work at their current law school."

I always thought statements like this meant that you had to meet the minimum requirements to have gained admission to the school originally, like a minimum gpa of 2.0 they accept, and not necessarily have a minimum gpa that they typically accept.

jaykay1995

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 05:16:53 PM »
UH doesn't take many transfers.  UT is actually one of those schools that will look at your pre-LS numbers, although they're more lax with Texas residents.  I believe they state this on their website; for that matter, most schools clearly state their transfer admission policies on their websites.

I'd apply to SMU if I were you.  Great job prospects, some say as good as UT in DFW.  I'd also apply to Baylor, although I don't know anything about their transfer policies.  Tech is definitely a rung below those two, although you'd be better off there than you are now.

Some Tulane grads end up in Houston.  For some reason, Tulane seems to take a fair amount of transfers, and it's sort of a name-brand school.

If you're more free about where you want to live, try applying to WUSTL.  They take a lot of transfers too.

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 05:52:58 PM »
Denver Univ has an early conditional acceptance; that and GTown are the only ones to my knowledge

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 06:53:43 PM »
Yes, I am also interested in transferring. I want to transfer to either Colorado, Denver or UNM. What would I have to pull off from Wyoming in order to be consdiered a candidate to transfer to these schools?