Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: transfer and joint degree  (Read 1006 times)

QUAKER OATS

transfer and joint degree
« on: January 29, 2006, 06:24:29 PM »
Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer and enter a Joint Degree program?  The programs I'm interested in do not say anything to indicate either way.

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
Re: transfer and joint degree
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 07:38:37 PM »
I haven't seen a clear "yes" or "no" on the websites...but many say that you can enter the MA portion in the fall of your second year...so it seems possible...

bennybm

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 07:56:00 PM »
I don't know what type of joint degree you are talking about, but most schools I have seen do not accept transfer students for MBA programs, and thus not to JD / MBA programs.
In - GSU, UGA
Out - UF
Withdrawn - Memphis, Kentucky, South Carolina, Mercer, Samford, FSU

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 07:59:13 PM »
If a 1L goes into a joint degree, he takes only law classes his first year.  After first year, he/she takes the other degree classes as cross electives, and the additonal year is to complete classes and the thesis.

So, I would not be transferring into the other degree; only the JD.  Make sense?

bennybm

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 10:07:30 AM »
Ok, I see.  That is not ALWAYS the case, as I am working on my MBA now, and will start JD in the fall. 

As for transfers, I know many schools have a limit on how many MBA hours you can have when you start, shich is usually fewer than 20, or one semester or something.  But I have never heard of having a limit on the number of JD hours.  I would think you would just have to be accepted to both programs.  This info can almost always be found on their website.
In - GSU, UGA
Out - UF

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 07:19:26 PM »
Ok, I see.  That is not ALWAYS the case, as I am working on my MBA now, and will start JD in the fall. 

As for transfers, I know many schools have a limit on how many MBA hours you can have when you start, shich is usually fewer than 20, or one semester or something.  But I have never heard of having a limit on the number of JD hours.  I would think you would just have to be accepted to both programs.  This info can almost always be found on their website.

Dude...READ THE POST. This guy is not trying to transfer in the middle of a joint degree program...HE's TRYING TO START ONE WHEN HE TRANSFERS.....and HE SAID THAT IT WASN'T CLEAR ON THE WEBSITE....YOU GINORMOUS TOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry...to the OP...as Texas said, I don't see why you should't be able to start a joint degree program. Just contact the admissions office and they'll be a lot better equiped to help you than we will.

Good luck. (By the way, how is the BP<L analysis treating you?)

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 09:15:56 PM »

Dude...READ THE POST. This guy is not trying to transfer in the middle of a joint degree program...HE's TRYING TO START ONE WHEN HE TRANSFERS.....and HE SAID THAT IT WASN'T CLEAR ON THE WEBSITE....YOU GINORMOUS TOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry...to the OP...as Texas said, I don't see why you should't be able to start a joint degree program. Just contact the admissions office and they'll be a lot better equiped to help you than we will.

Good luck. (By the way, how is the BP<L analysis treating you?)

Ah, Carrol Towing, those were the days.

Anyhow, FYI I called FSU about transferring and joint degree and it is possible.  I will not be able to, however, b/c I do not have two of the prerequisites.  I guess I'll have to do my masters later.

Thanks all for the advice.

bennybm

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 10:41:22 AM »
Quote from: Budlaw on January 30, 2006, 09:19:26 PM

Wow Budlaw, for someone WRITING IN ALL CAPS ABOUT READING THE POST, maybe you should have read mine.  I said in that post that I know there are limits on how many MBA classes you can have, but have never heard of a limit on JD classes.  If you fail to see relevance / parallel, you are an idiot, or as a wise man once said "A GINORMOUS TOOL"

Learned, Sorry for the bad news.
In - GSU, UGA
Out - UF