Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone study on the train on your way to classes?  (Read 1034 times)

rider06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anyone study on the train on your way to classes?
« on: January 29, 2006, 05:06:49 PM »
Next year I may be going to a school that is about an hour and a half by train...

so i was wondering if anyone managed to study on the train ride?  I'll be doing it in the evening part time so it wont be 5 days a week...

Does anyone think it's crazy to live 1.5 hours away from school?

1sweetworld4136

• View Profile
Re: Anyone study on the train on your way to classes?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 05:11:46 PM »
As long as you aren't multitasking while driving a car, it's all good and well.  Ask yourself if 1.5 hours is really enough prep time for your classes.  Also ask yourself if the environment will be conducive to studying - if you're on the DC Metro or the NYC Subway, it's out of the question.  LIRR?  Fuggeddaboudit!

I see people here who prep in the 5 minutes before class by scanning a case brief from some summary book or the like, so I wouldn't put that in the same category as what you're suggesting.  Do whatever works for you.

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act.

~George Orwell

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King, Jr

rider06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 05:23:33 PM »
As long as you aren't multitasking while driving a car, it's all good and well.  Ask yourself if 1.5 hours is really enough prep time for your classes.  Also ask yourself if the environment will be conducive to studying - if you're on the DC Metro or the NYC Subway, it's out of the question.  LIRR?  Fuggeddaboudit!

I see people here who prep in the 5 minutes before class by scanning a case brief from some summary book or the like, so I wouldn't put that in the same category as what you're suggesting.  Do whatever works for you.

hahah....I was planning to do this on the LIRR...care to go into detail?  I never took this train before....

Anyway, it's not like I will be doing ALL my studying on the train.  Since I have night classes, I am probably going to do it in the morning and just in case I don't finish in time, I have an hour or so to do it on the train...that was my reasoning at least, but i guess you're saying that it's impossible on the LIRR lol

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 07:12:30 PM »
I live approximately 1.5 hours from my school; work about 20 hours a week; and go to school full-time.  My recommendation after doing it for over a semester is to avoid it if possible, its a lot of stress on you and your family (for some reason you have "not studying guilt"; I should be home studying but I'm at work)...

The train is okay to study on, what I have noticed though is that people start to recognize you and then no matter how many books you have open in front of you they want to talk.  And then they figure out you're in law school and they want to talk even more...I have found that if you wear an ipod or something they leave you alone...

All that aside, I did it my first semester and did just fine grade wise.  Emotional/stress wise I've probable aged a little...

Good Luck.

rider06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 07:53:41 PM »
I live approximately 1.5 hours from my school; work about 20 hours a week; and go to school full-time.  My recommendation after doing it for over a semester is to avoid it if possible, its a lot of stress on you and your family (for some reason you have "not studying guilt"; I should be home studying but I'm at work)...

The train is okay to study on, what I have noticed though is that people start to recognize you and then no matter how many books you have open in front of you they want to talk.  And then they figure out you're in law school and they want to talk even more...I have found that if you wear an ipod or something they leave you alone...

All that aside, I did it my first semester and did just fine grade wise.  Emotional/stress wise I've probable aged a little...

Good Luck.

Well I'll fortunately have the luxury of not having to work (loan time!).  Plus I'll be going part time (probably will switch later on to full time)
Good advice though, sounds doable.  I plan on getting an ipod or something to let everyone know that I dont want to talk.

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 11:28:19 PM »
I did this all of last year, (and did very well, if I do say so myself). It sucks, and you'll hate it, but it's doable. Also, make sure you invest in some good headphones, noise-cancelling, or just something for your ipod.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 07:13:54 AM »
are you coming from Long Island to go to school in NYC, or vice versa?  It makes a difference.  Trains are more crowded in the morning going towards the city, and more crowded in the afternoon going towards Long Island.
I don't think one can study effectively, if at all, on the subway.  Not a good plan. 

rider06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 12:01:06 PM »
are you coming from Long Island to go to school in NYC, or vice versa?  It makes a difference.  Trains are more crowded in the morning going towards the city, and more crowded in the afternoon going towards Long Island.
I don't think one can study effectively, if at all, on the subway.  Not a good plan. 

ill be going from LI to the city but at around 4 pm (night classes)...so i'll be going against traffic.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 08:44:40 AM »
I commute from Brooklyn to Manhattan, and I cannot study on the train.  I just read the news or a paperback.  Apparently, some people can study on the train, so I wouldn't tell you cannot.  But since you don't really know yet, I repeat that it's not a good plan.  When thinking ahead, don't factor the train time as your study time. 

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 11:17:26 AM »
Will you get a seat? Harder to hold a casebook, stand, and keep your balance. Also, depending on the safety issue on the line, I've used earplugs when on public transit to get the requisite amount of quiet.

Otherwise, 1.5 hrs each way? That's a lot of time to NOT be studying.