Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fall 2006  (Read 7037 times)

farmer

• View Profile
Fall 2006
« on: January 28, 2006, 09:24:35 PM »
I have been accepted for fall 06.  I will probably be attending this fall.  Anybody else considering attending?

Also, feel free to drop a line if you are currently attending.

lohseds

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fall 2006
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 03:05:48 PM »
I'm thinking about going there this fall.  Have you made a final decision yet?

farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 11:06:29 AM »
I visited the school recently and will probably be sending in my deposit this week.  As of now, that is where I'll be going.  However, if I get good news from schools I've been waitlisted or deferred, then I'll deal with them later.  But as of now, I'm happy heading to Cleveland.  What about you?

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 04:40:37 PM »
I was admitted and I am still up in the air (waiting to hear from 4 schools still.) I got into a school in Oregon that is sort of on-par with C-M. I am a native Clevelander and right now I am leaning towards C-M--I am just waiting for something (I don't know what) to push me over the edge one way or another!

Any clue about where you guys are living? I have been wondering where to live a lot recently!
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 02:33:26 PM »
I don't know where I'll be living yet.  When I made my visit, it seemed that most people either recommended living downtown or very nearby suburbs like Lakewood.  I'm not too familiar with the area, so I don't know where I'll end up.
Any suggestions? pros/cons?

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 08:04:31 AM »
Lakewood and University Heights are both good areas to live. Lakewood has lots of tall apartment buildings along the lakefront, and the rent is reasonable ($450 for a one bedroom with garage parking.) Ohio City is a historic district, really culturally alive place to live, with the west side market, lots of people out, cool bars and good music. University Heights is near Case, so you get a student-type crowd and you are near the heart of little Italy, so the food won't disappoint. Coventry is nearby as well, and it's funky and young adult friendly. I would advise driving around and checking out which area you feel comfortable in, since they all have their own advantages/atmospheres. If you want to live within walking distance, Reserve Square is an apartment complex about 2 blocks from the law school.

anna13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 11:36:48 PM »
I moved to Lakewood to attend C-M a couple of years ago. It's an absolutely beautiful city. If it weren't so far from my family, I would have permanently settled there. It's located just to the west of the city, and I heard that the west side is much better served by the bus system than the east side (where University Heights is located), and the school will give you a free bus pass (unless this policy has changed).

My impression is that Lakewood generally has a younger population than other cities I've lived in. It also is heavily Democratic (I lived there during last year's election. The Kerry yard signs outnumbered the Bush signs by about 20 to 1) and rather progressive politically. I honestly can't think of a bad thing to say about it.  ;D

I attended C-M for 1L (before transferring to a Chicago school) and would be happy to answer any questions about the school. I really enjoyed the year I spent there, and sometimes I actually regret leaving, even though I'm now at a supposedly "better" school.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 05:18:38 PM »
what were your favorite things about it? why did you transfer?

anna13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 01:43:09 AM »
I only left to be closer to my family.

As far as C-M goes, I really think the school is very well respected in the Cleveland area. During my year there, I met several C-M alums on the bus on my way to school - one who had graduated a good 30 years earler. All had nothing but good things to say about the school, and all (there were a total of three) credited C-M for their success in the law field.

I also have tremendous respect for the profs I had my first year. Education-wise, it's top notch. The school also has a warm, collegial atmosphere (which my current school lacks). There are also tons of opportunities to get involved in activities - law reviews, moot court, organizations, etc. I am kind of locked out of some of these things as a transfer student.

I know that C-M is considered a lower-ranked school, but I really have no idea why (other than its bar passage rate, which I believe is lower than the state average). I've just finished a year at a higher ranked school, so I can say from experience that C-M is, educationally and in terms of professor quality, on par with at least one much higher ranked school.

Yank23

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 05:06:27 PM »
Hey,

I've heard from a few people that Lakewood is a nice place to live. Can anyone suggest a certain apartment building or a real estate agency in Lakewood to go with? Also, what does everyone think about having a roommate during law school? Cuts the cost in half, but may lead to distractions. Does CSU have a roommate finder service? Whats the travel time, by car, from Lakewood to CSU? Thanks