Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Time management tips  (Read 1453 times)

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Time management tips
« on: January 28, 2006, 05:33:50 PM »
I've been invited onto Law Review, which is awesome, but I'm having some trouble managing my time and remaining focused on school work. I feel pretty overwhelmed. Does anybody have any tips? I keep two calendars and I schedule study time, but it seems like I still don't have time to really absorb the material - especially Con Law. Does anybody have tips for studying more efficiently? I don't want my grades to dip this semester.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Time management tips
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 05:55:36 PM »
How do you get invited onto law review before your 2L year?  I have never in my life heard of anything law review related until after 1L spring finals are over.

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 10:46:19 PM »
I guess you have to go to a school that invites 1L's. I'm not sure what else to say about that.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 11:37:37 AM »
Most people who are journals and other upper-level activities don't have a problem with balancing everything.  So you might find that you don't have a problem.  I don't know if Law Review is really more demanding than anything else, though - the office is guarded with attack dogs to keep the rest of non-intellectual giants out. 
The best time management tip for all upper-level students I can give is this: harmonize. Everything you do will take a lot of time.  So make sure that anything you do can have more than one purpose.  For instance, what can do you with just one paper?  You can write it for a class with a paper requirement/option, your law school's "writing requirement," your Law Review note, and if it qualifies, a national or regional writing competition.  You can also focus on a topic that you'll cover in another class, so you'll be more prepared for that exam. 
You'll do fine.  You obviously already knew how to do better than most of your classmates by making Law Review.  So stop worrying and get to work.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 01:06:12 PM »
If you're really having a difficult time, you may want to see if you can put law review off until 2L, when most law students do it.

You seem like you're extremely organized.  There's not too much else to do, except make sure that when you are studying, that you're focused.  If you still feel like you're not where you should be, talk to someone.  Law review and journals, from what I've heard, are a hell of a lot of work.  Everyone I've talked to with LR/journal experience say that it looks great on a resume and helps your career out a lot, but you definitely put the work into it.  I can't imagine trying to get cite checks done while trying to make sure my 1L grade didn't slip.  If it comes down to having significantly lower grades than fall semester and 1 "extra" semester of law review (assuming that they'll just reserve your spot for next fall), I think I'd prefer to keep my grades high and take the normal route of working on a journal my second year.

And if you're worried about your resume, if they'll hold your space, you can put that you've been invited onto law review for Fall 2006.

980eQ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 01:06:15 PM »
My school doesnt allow IL to get into the groups. You are allowed to try out towards the end of 2d semester, but not allowed to be part of the group until 2L year.

I think it is a good policy, bc 2d semester for us is 21 creds.