Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I get a legal job this summer w/ 2.0 gpa at 2tier school that has a 3.0 avg?  (Read 3482 times)

jd_voyage

• View Profile
I had a terrible 1st semester. My grades are horrible. I got 3 C's 1C- and a B, giving me a 2.06. So my question is can I get a job this summer doing legal work despite my low grades? I have 2 years of corporate experience and 1 year of legal experience.
I'm trying to get as many A's as possible this semester but I'm aware that the job process starts now. Any suggestions. I really need some sound feedback. Where do you suggest I applly to?
thx

jd_voyage

• View Profile
Is there anyone out there willing to give me their opinion? There's gotta be someone out there with somekind of advice ???

Brisco

• View Profile
I doubt you are going to get a paying job but thats more to do with your school than your grades. I got a 3.8 my first semester (tier 2 also) and I doubt I'll be seeing any money this summer unless I can land an RA gig. I'm a bit worried about getting anything at all actually since its so late.

A lot of people applied for and got volunteer stuff before grades were even released. You still might have a chance at some judicial internship or city gov internship.

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
There are fellowships out there for public service that are, supposedly, more contingent upon past public service experience and other "soft" factors than grades. In fact, I'm not sure if the last fellowship I applied for even asked for grades. I know I didn't need a transcript. There are PLENTY of opportunities with legal services, public defenders and possibly small firms. It's doubtful that you'll get paid, but there's lots of stuff out there if you're interested in pro bono work.

Make an appointment with career services or scour their website for fellowship opportunities. To find places to apply to, use Martindale-Hubbell on Lexis and of course career services. Good luck!

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
Volunteer at the DA or PD's office. 

ApproachTheBench

• View Profile
The odds are against you, but you have nothing to lose.

Get your resume out there to as many firms as possible, call people up and work your network and just see what happens.
Save time, save money, find a summer job at http://www.approachthebench.com

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
See if any professors around your school need research bitche.... assistants, this summer. That might be your best bet.

eray01

Anybody can get a job as long as they beat the streets hard enough. Some just have to beat the streets a little harder. Hey, look at it this way: even bad attorneys make a lot of money.

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
I had a terrible 1st semester. My grades are horrible. I got 3 C's 1C- and a B, giving me a 2.06. So my question is can I get a job this summer doing legal work despite my low grades? I have 2 years of corporate experience and 1 year of legal experience.
I'm trying to get as many A's as possible this semester but I'm aware that the job process starts now. Any suggestions. I really need some sound feedback. Where do you suggest I applly to?
thx

My suggestion: take some classes this summer and live off loan money.  It's obviously not ideal, but it's something to do that won't be frowned upon when you are looking for a job later, and you might be able to use the credits to boost your GPA.  I know a couple people who's GPA rose dramatically through summer classes.  Use your time during the day (if they're night classes) and volunteer somewhere.  Somewhere someone will take free work.
Don't Panic

nonamesleftforme

• View Profile
I think you've got some sound advice thus far.  Here's what I would do:

1.  DA or Pub. Defender work (which was mentioned before)
2.  Set up a meeting with career services and tell it to them straight.  See what they say.
3.  Do a Lexis search for alums from your law school practicing in the area you want to be this summer.  Then call them up and chat with them.  Most will be happy to help (could offer you a job or another lead) and they usually won't be pushy about grades.
4.  Focus on your stregnths: you have work experience.  Talk about that! 
5.  Show that you have common sense and good judgment, something numerous attys have told me they look for over grades or law review. 
6.  Don't be afraid to volunteer if you have to.  The bottom line is that you want experience on your resume.

Good luck!