Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it possible to get a summer job doing legal work w/ a 2.0 at a 2teir?  (Read 2217 times)

jd_voyage

• View Profile
I had a terrible 1st semester. My grades are horrible. I got 3 C's 1C- and a B, giving me a 2.06. So my question is can I get a job this summer doing legal work despite my low grades? I have 2 years of corporate experience and 1 year of legal experience.
I'm trying to get as many A's as possible this semester but I'm aware that the job process starts now. Any suggestions. I really need sound feedback.
thx

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to get a summer job doing legal work w/ a 2.0 at a 2teir?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 02:48:25 PM »
You probably have no shot at any large or midsized firm as those are highly competative. You really need to be top 10% for those. What I would do is to start calling small firms and solo practitioners and ask them if they need some help. Tell them you will work for little or nothing and that you really really want to draft things and help them do research. You never know you might find someone who will bring you in and give you some experence.

ApproachTheBench

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 05:04:05 PM »
Who knows?

I don't like this question, because what if someone said "no"?  Would you just not apply?

What you should do is get your resume out there to as many firms as you can, and hope something good happens.  That's all you can do.  You've got nothing to lose, do you?  Except your pride.  :-)

Good luck!
Save time, save money, find a summer job at http://www.approachthebench.com

sdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 02:45:17 PM »
I dont want to be negative but the legal field is extremelly competive and with those grades you would be lucky to get a non paying job much less than one that pays.  The problem is all your classmates and any other local law schools are all going for a limited number of jobs.  The firms have a few spots and can afford to be picky about who they choose.  They chose by grades and affirmative action, and so with your grades I would recommend hitting up the small firms who do not advertise.

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 09:10:53 PM »
Yes.