Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer at US Attorney's office vs. Magistrate Judge vs. District Judge (updated)  (Read 3186 times)

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If you are interested in learning about discovery issues, the magistrate judge would be great. While it may seem boring, it is certainly a helpful experience since that's what attorneys spend most of their time doing.

If you looking for an analytical writing sample, both the US Attorneys and the District Court will serve this purpose.

I think that all three options are prestigous and you should base your decision which chambers or office you feel most comfortable w/. This is important, seeing that for some judges you may have to make an appointment just to discuss your bench memo.

If you'd like to know more about the US Atty's Office, I would ask if you could stop by for an hour or two and just see what a typical morning is like. I'm not sure if a judge would be willing to do this, though.

bulletproof

• View Profile
I think that all three options are prestigous and you should base your decision which chambers or office you feel most comfortable w/. This is important, seeing that for some judges you may have to make an appointment just to discuss your bench memo.

I agree, I was going over the exact same considerations and ended up deciding to clerk for a magistrate judge.  The primary reason was personality, the judge is very approachable and it really seems like his interest is in my learning something and getting a broad view of the fed system.  It was also helpful that he is interested in my taking part in some of everything going on at the courthouse, including allowing my to sit in on other things outside of his own caseload.  He is willing to make sure I take part in research, writing memos, drafting his decisions, taking part in conferences, motions, trials... This particular magistrate judge also has a strong reputation in the district and state.  It all added up to my thinking it would make the most of my summer experience.