Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much of a benefit is having a CPA with a J.D.  (Read 502 times)

tombishop

• View Profile
How much of a benefit is having a CPA with a J.D.
« on: January 24, 2006, 04:44:12 PM »

I attend a T3 schoool and am hoping to find a Tax Law related job upon graduation.  Will the fact that I have a CPA overcome the fact that I attend a T3 school? 

Anyone have a ballpark, and I mean +/- $25k estimate about how much a Tax Attorney starts out in the Midwest (Chicago/Minneapolis/Milwaukee/Indy)

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How much of a benefit is having a CPA with a J.D.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 06:18:44 PM »
To ask how much a tax lawyer makes is sort of like asking, how much does a lawyer make? The answer is of course that it's all over the board. If you are Roni Deutsch, you make pennies on the dollar, working for people who owe $300 to the IRS. Or, you could be structuring the tax on an F500 merger at Skadden Arps.

1sweetworld4136

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 12:03:17 AM »
I wonder how Roni Lynn Deutsch (sp) affords all that airtime for commercials?

One of my friends (and possibly a future employer) has so many initials after her last name that it isn't even funny.  As if a JD was not a powerful degree, she has a MPA (masters of public administration), an MBA, an LLM, and a PhD in Political Science.  She's one of those trust fund professional type students with no money to worry about, and the last time we talked she was doing some pre-med work...oh boy.

The point is, anything is great with a J.D. - I for one always wanted to be a doctor and a lawyer, but I have my plate full dealing with becoming a lawyer.  Ask yourself this, however:  Do you really want to do tax law?  Do you have it in you?  It's a gutwrenching decision for some - yet others are moderately interested and can do that kind of thing day in and day out.  There are endless possibilities.
In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act.

~George Orwell

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King, Jr

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 12:18:49 AM »
Tax law, from where I'm standing, is actually pretty fun. It sort of combines the best of finance/econ and substantive law. If you are doing mergers, it gets really complicated and interesting.