Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dean's List in Law School  (Read 4171 times)

FilmMajor

• View Profile
Dean's List in Law School
« on: January 22, 2006, 09:05:33 PM »
Can you get on the Dean's list at law school?

Also, is it fairly difficult to graduate with honors and get on a law review at law school?

Finally, in order to take the boards, do you have to choose the state you will be practicing in ? Or is it that once you pass the boards for X state, you can practice anywhere in the US?

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Dean's List in Law School
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 09:41:46 PM »
I don't know about other schools, but at my school you make the Dean's List if you receive a 3.5 GPA or higher in any given semester.  This last semester was the first time I made Dean's List since I've been in law school.  It may not happen again but I don't care; I'll enjoy it while I can.

Regarding your bar-exam question, you can't take the bar in one state and then practice law in another state without taking that other state's bar exam.  I'm not sure if this is true for every state, but I know that generally you have to take the bar exam again if you move to another state.

Texas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 11:03:56 PM »
Can you get on the Dean's list at law school?

Also, is it fairly difficult to graduate with honors and get on a law review at law school?

Finally, in order to take the boards, do you have to choose the state you will be practicing in ? Or is it that once you pass the boards for X state, you can practice anywhere in the US?

Dean's list is 3.2 at my school, but don't let it fool ya...with the forced curve it is darn hard to get there...

Also, in Texas you have to fill out a Declaration of Intent to Study Law during your first semester so that the Bar can investigate you...not sure about other states...

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 11:04:27 PM »
you make dean's list at my school if you blow the dean.

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 12:35:41 AM »
mp, u wouldnt happen to be at pepperdine?  :)

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 04:53:27 PM »
mp, u wouldnt happen to be at pepperdine?  :)

y

S|

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 07:35:56 PM »
He's at Suffolk.  Mystery solved.

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 09:47:07 PM »
Regarding the the bar exam, each state sets its own rules so you need to check with the state you hope to practice in.

Some make you take the exam again, others will admit you "on motion" if you are licensed in another state.  Some require a certain number of years practice before admission on motion, others don't.  I think there might even be one or two that don't require the bar exam (or maybe it is law school) if you meet certain conditions.

The National Conference of Bar Examiners has a publication that summarizes the requirements of all the states requirements.