Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2nd Semester - Still Lost?  (Read 1110 times)

artgirl

• View Profile
2nd Semester - Still Lost?
« on: January 21, 2006, 05:57:07 PM »
Anyone feel this way: It's the second semester, we should have some idea of what we're doing by now right? Well, I'm just as lost in terms of what I should be doing this semester as I was last semester. Sure now we sort of know what to expect in terms of using supplements, taking law school finals and writing memos for our lwr classes but half the time I still don't know what the heck I'm doing and if I'm doing things right.

eloisa

• View Profile
Re: 2nd Semester - Still Lost?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 07:08:59 PM »
If you have grades, you're ahead of me.

We still haven't received our grades yet.  I felt lost last semester, and I have no idea how well I "got it" because I don't have any feedback.

Take heart, there are other 1Ls who feel just as confused.

Brisco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 07:12:53 PM »
Have you tried talking to your first semester professors about your tests? I don't mean ask them to change your grades but ask them what was wrong with your answers. How about you schools academic support office?

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 07:34:20 PM »
I'm in my 2nd year and still lost.  I'm hoping I can climb out of this TTT before I get flushed down it. 

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 09:01:15 PM »
Yeah I still feel lost. I think I know what I have to do inorder to study and prepare for class but with all new professors what they ask for is sometimes far from what I felt was important. It is just the first week and I already feel tired  go figure.

artgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 10:07:22 PM »
well i'm glad i'm not alone :) i feel for those of you still waiting for grades and wish you guys all the best! it's pretty ridiculous that they make you wait so long for grades.

midnight thursday

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 06:33:45 PM »
Diddo on the whole lost feeling. We got our grades back and I did pretty good but I'm not sure why. Some grades were expected and some were a total surprise.

I really think half the battle is figuring out what YOUR particular professor wants. If you can do that, then you've already scored a decent grade.

In a way this sucks because some profs will be straight foward and just tell you what they want and others will hammer the policy and philosophical side of the subject and then do a "bait and switch" on the exam.

And them some just drive you crazy and you stand being in the same room with them. >:(

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 09:45:25 PM »
Amen to the "bait and switch" thing.  My property professor last semester focused ENTIRELY on policy, but come exam time, we were tested on pure Black Letter Law.  He also told us not to focus on the Rule Against Perpetuities, and yet, we had 2 questions on that rule on the exam.

General rule of thumb I've found to always be true:  when your professor tells you one thing, do the complete opposite...has worked for me so far!