Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post the study method that works best for you here:  (Read 1144 times)

yale05

• View Profile
Post the study method that works best for you here:
« on: January 20, 2006, 02:46:48 PM »

For the aid of those coming in, maybe compiling a list of what worked for us and what didn't will help the next year of LSDers going into LS. Post your response here:

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
Re: Post the study method that works best for you here:
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 05:16:10 PM »
For me it was pretty much just reading the material and then doing a review based of an outline I got at my schools outline bank. I also used the Barbri book to review. This may seem odd, but I also found it useful to sometimes not read the case till I got to the class. Basically I would sit down then quickly skim the case and go from there. I found this helped me to quickly find the most important info in the case (the holdings and rules).

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 09:32:08 PM »
Ironically, what worked best for me was...doing exactly what I was told by the professors and the former students.  I briefed every case, and at the end of the semester I made an outline or checklist for each course.  How detailed it was depended on how much I was allowed to bring in.  Some exams let us use the casebook, so the outline didn't need as much detail; other exams didn't allow the casebook, so the outline had to include more detail to compensate.  One exam was completely closed (no books or notes), so the outline/checklist I made was short and sweet (so it would be easier to remember everything).  For Civ Pro (completely open, bring whatever you like), our first semester was more about methods of legal reasoning and argument than about substantive law, so most of the outline was really more of a checklist (as in "don't forget to think about administrative efficiency arguments and concerns about waste!).

I didn't bother with commercial study aids or hornbooks.  Two main reasons: 1) no time to consult them!; and 2) every former student I talked to said they were pretty much a waste.  The basic problem they found with commercial aids is 2-fold: they're both over inclusive and under-inclusive.  They cover things (and many people end up studying, in the hope of gaining some perceived "edge" over their peers by learning more BLL) that will never show up on the test, since they weren't covered in class.  At the same time, the study aid might not cover matters that were brought up in class, or if they do cover them, they might not emphasize them as much as is needed (some professors have topics they REALLY care about, which others care about much less), so you won't have prepped that stuff enough.

I found briefing to be quite helpful for getting the cases into my memory.  It may not be of value to everyone, but to me it was.  There's something helpful about breaking down the prose of the opinion into manageable pieces and putting the pieces together into a logical structure.  But maybe it's just me.  It also takes a lot less time as you get more practice.  I can now brief a case in about 10-15 minutes (not counting reading it) if I'm really focused, and I remember the details a lot better afterward than would be the case with reading alone.

But these are just the methods that paid off for me.  They might not work for everyone.  They almost certainly won't work for certain people.  Everyone's different.  So, to repeat what the former students told me: forget the hype.  There isn't a universally agreed-upon "right way" to handle 1L (if there was, it wouldn't be much of a challenge!).  The trick is to find what works for you, and to do that.  It doesn't matter if it's different from what everyone else is doing.  It doesn't have to work for them, it has to work for *you*. 

Of course, the challenge is that you don't know for sure whether it's working until you see the grade.  But there are some pretty good ways to get a rough idea of how well you understand the material and can apply it.  This leads to the last point: old exams.  If they're available, get them, go over them, preferably in a study group at first, talking out your reasoning process.  The reason you want to do this is in a group is because you're all on pretty new ground, and it often helps to have a bunch of smart people in the same room, putting their mental energies into the same problem.  They will often see things you don't, and vice versa.  Later on, you can try your hand at writing out a full individual analysis on your own, and see if your professor would be willing to review it (not all of them will be; some might alternatively leave you with model answers to compare your work to).  Even if the professor isn't willing to grade your practice exams, just talk with him, especially if things are unclear.  Most of them don't get much traffic during their office hours, and will be happy to help clarify anything.  Often, these conversations will help give you an idea of how well you understand and apply the material.  Try to take the principles to the next step.  Think up a hypo or two, and play around with it, trying to get the professor to confirm or correct your ideas.

The most important thing is: don't panic.  If you put in the investment, you are more likely than not to get the pay off.  And remember: the forced curve does not give one license to be an @$$hole.

That is all.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

qaz123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 01:20:53 PM »
focus on main ideas that come out of cases and dont worry about the details and other junk in the opinions.  try to sum up the main rule in a sentence or two.  for example, pierson v. post: "pursuit is not enough to establish a vested property right in an animal."

read e&e's and use them as your primary study aid, not the casebook. 

go to class and pay attention to what your professor says.  parrot back his beliefs on the exam.

outlining is a huge waste of time in my opinion.  if you never felt the need to outline in the past, dont get caught up in the retarded law school hype about it and dont waste your time.

i think you can effectively cover material two or three times faster if you are just studying instead of trying to create a written outline.  just get an outline from an upper level student and use it as a table of contents type guide to follow when studying.

in terms of studying, i did little.  i just crammed with e&e's and im far above the median(dont know rank yet).  in sum, law school is a bunch of hype...its the same *&^% as undergrad.

norm012001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 01:12:56 PM »
I did the full case briefs, full outline method that is probably the most time consuming.  I read supplements at the end of the semester to clear up any dark spots and to add more subtle rules.  The supplements were just secondary though, I never used them to actually learn a topic from scratch.  I condensed this outline a few times into something workable in the test.  I read every case before the class in which it was discussed and had briefs for probably 90% of them.

I put in probably the most time i could (I work full time and go to school part time).  Thankfully, this worked very well for me or I would have been pretty despondent.  The one thing I did wait until the end of the semester to do was to outline.  I was concerned about it at the time, but looking back, it must have worked well for me.
3.19/165, 6yrs work experience, EE Master's

Accepted: GWU, GMU, American
Waitlist: Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, UVa
Withdrawn: UNC (withdrew in mid March, tired of waiting)