Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anon LS Dean here taking questions...  (Read 5315 times)

jdmaxey

• View Profile
Re: Anon LS Dean here taking questions...
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2006, 07:23:37 PM »
I'm not trying to defend the socratic method here, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. In practice you will have to be prepared at all times for whatever situation might come up. Not only must you be prepared, you must be able to argue your position with competence and confidence. Check Rule 1.1 from the ABA's Model Rules of Professional Conduct. 

Isn't that what your professor wants in class when they call on you? If your reaction to pressure is a quivering lip then you might want to work on that. And if you can't overcome it then maybe LS is just not for you. I'm not trying to be mean but if you crumble during a trial you could cost your client more than a little embarrassment.

Anonymous_Dean: If you were just graduating from law school would you specialize? If so, which field? If not, why? If you had an engineering background would you run to IP law? I'm still early in my legal education, but when asked what kind of law I want to practice I avoid an answer. My background would point to IP law but my heart just isn't doing flips at the prospect. Not that I have anything against the field, I really don't know that much about it. I am just more of a people person and would enjoy the close interaction that a private practice could provide. But I hear how prosperous IP law is and how some lawyers in private practice barely survive. It's a tough call for me, luckily I have a while before I have to decide. What are your thoughts?

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2006, 10:55:11 PM »
Also, if you, like I do (and I'm a 2L), get unduly nervous whenever called upon to answer a question in class, just remember that most lawyers are NOT litigators who have to instantly answer a question.  I honestly think that the Socratic Method only has some usefulness to those who intend to become litigators, who, as part of the job description, must know how to think on their feet.  If and when I decide to practice law, I will want to be a lawyer who just drafts documents (wills, trusts, contracts, etc.).  If you know your personality is not well suited for being a litigator, then don't fight it and work within the confines of your strengths and consider transactional law. 

This to me is the assumption (and we all know the consequences of when we assume) law schools make:  that everyone there wants to be a litigator, therefore they use a method that they think will best prepare students for this type of field...the Socratic Method.  They badly need to utilize other teaching techniques.  Just because something is traditional doesn't mean it's always the correct (and only) way to do something.

eray01

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 01:38:20 PM »
Everyone learns differently. One of the problems with the socratic method, as I see it, is it leaves out a portion of the students who can't learn by trying to extract the relevant information out of a line of questioning. Further, only professors who are good at leading the questioning in a productive and relevant way are effective with this teaching method. Not all of them have that skill. The best professor I've had was one who combined the socratic method with other teaching styles. He was engaging, helpful, and a few other complimentary adjectives. In short, we all loved the class and learned alot. Isn't that the point of school; to learn something.

Let me be clear, however, that I am not opposed to the socratic method. It has its place, and is great for forcing analytical thought, quick thinking, preparation, self-teaching, and for embarrassing cocky students who get on our nerves (gunners).

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2006, 04:42:02 PM »
I've never really understood what the big deal is about the socratic method.  I think it's actually kind of nice to have that practice of thinking on your feet where it doesn't count for anything, like it will in a courtroom.  I can see how it would freak people out if it were part of your grade but for us it's blind grading and determined by the final only.  So even if I mess up...not like it's the end of the world.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 08:01:53 PM »
IMHO let's can the Socratic method and focus on what I've been using, with a certain degree of success, last semester.  I have perfected the "Law for Dummies" and "Picture Casebook Series" combination.  I can hear you guys getting the flames ready, but hear me out. 

First, Law for Dummies eases you in to the whole law school process and more importantly, prepares you for after law school.  Sure, the book is completely silent on the Erie problem (which is apparently relevant in Civil Procedure), but wow does it cover "How to Contact a lawyer."  I mean, isn't that what we will be doing in our first year after graduation anyways?  We will be "contacting lawyers" in our respective firms and asking them about what our responsibilities might entail.  All things being equal, I'm going to have a heads up over those who didn't take advantage of this groundbreaking text. 

Second, how can a pop-up illustration of Scalia beating Thomas over the head with a staff not help you learn Con Law??  I know it helped me and am sure that it can help you all.  Your feedback would be appreciated.
pudding is delightful

jd2b06

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2006, 02:07:15 PM »
What happened to our Anonymous Dean?  Did you stop taking questions?  ha ha...

maradonna

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2006, 05:14:43 PM »
Anonymous Dean = jd2b06, my dear! :)

Anonymous_Dean

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2006, 05:37:38 PM »
Anonymous Dean = jd2b06, my dear! :)

No, he isn't, my dear.

I actually enjoyed reading each of your posts regarding the Socratic method.  I have long been an advocate of necessitating a different teaching method.  However, all schools are regulated by ABA requirements that confine (albeit ambiguously) how we teach.

nexxxt

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2006, 06:20:11 PM »
You wanna get raped, anon?!

plumbert

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2006, 07:44:22 AM »
Quote from: Anonymous_Dean
I have long been an advocate of necessitating a different teaching method.  However, all schools are regulated by ABA requirements that confine (albeit ambiguously) how we teach.

There are ABA-accredited schools that do not teach through the Socratic method.

While it may be flattering for LSD members to think a law school dean might post here among us, solicit our questions, and butcher the language while using common Internet-only jargon in incogent and meaningless posts like many here are wont to do, your representation of yourself as such a person is entirely without credibility. Not only is it not certain you are who you claim to be--it is now fair to say it is also highly unlikely.