Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anon LS Dean here taking questions...  (Read 5318 times)

Brisco

• View Profile
Re: Anon LS Dean here taking questions...
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 11:55:41 PM »
Why are 1L grades released weeks after the 2L and 3L grades?

jd2b06

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 11:57:22 PM »
Instead of knocking this guy why don't you ask him a question only law school deans would know such as:

Are lower tiered law schools (tier 4 in particular) really just lawyer mills who take kids money as long as they can and then flunk them out?

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 11:57:56 PM »
yeah, only a dean would know that

sammie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 01:21:56 AM »
Why are 1L grades released weeks after the 2L and 3L grades?

Is this really the case? Are you suggesting they're doing it on purpose? At my school grades are released pretty much at the same time for all years ..

Anonymous_Dean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 08:05:16 AM »
Instead of knocking this guy why don't you ask him a question only law school deans would know such as:

Are lower tiered law schools (tier 4 in particular) really just lawyer mills who take kids money as long as they can and then flunk them out?

The only 4th tier law school that is known for this, IMHO, is Roger Williams.  My school "suredly" does not engage in these despicable practices.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 10:32:36 AM »
While we are on the topic, am I the only one who does not view the Socratic method as anegative experience? Why would it be negative to be expected to present the material you are supposed to be reading? My professors probe you yes, asking you more specific questions, forcing you to really think critically about the issues and the law, but it is not in a negative manner. It simply forces you to do the reading and more importantly, analyze and actually learn the law.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

PotKettleBlack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 12:16:28 PM »
Hear, hear.  The only people who don't like the socratic method are those who either don't prepare for class or can't think on their feet.  Neither of those classes of people will make wildly successful lawyers in my humble estimation.

Wah.  Law school is hard.  You have lots of reading to do and the teachers don't put up with bull like they did in undergrad.  YOu don't like it, get another BA, not a JD.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 02:36:15 PM »
While we are on the topic, am I the only one who does not view the Socratic method as anegative experience? Why would it be negative to be expected to present the material you are supposed to be reading? My professors probe you yes, asking you more specific questions, forcing you to really think critically about the issues and the law, but it is not in a negative manner. It simply forces you to do the reading and more importantly, analyze and actually learn the law.

i don't know that it's "negative". i mean, if you get called on, deal with it or leave law school. what i do know, however, is that some people in and around legal academia have questioned its usefulness, but that legal academia has remained fairly hostile to any changes, even in classes taught by those who think there are better methods.

to me it's not about "liking" the socratic method or not. but if it is true that academics continue the cycle of socratic method simply because that's how they succeeded and want others to succeed- instead of it actually being good for the students- to me that's a problem.

but again, if the socratic method is really best, then so be it. i wouldn't support an overthrow of the law school establishment just for the sake of doing so, as some on this board seem to have suggested.
GW

NotReally

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 03:44:07 PM »
I go to a t10 law school and I only got cold called twice in the whole first semester of law school.  I was kind of disappointed.  Both times they were really easy questions.  I don't think anyone in my section got cold called more than three times.  I have friends in other sections where everyone has been called on like 10 times though so its all relative, but I really felt like in my socratic classes we sometimes didn't learn as much as classes where people who thought they knew the answers volunteered.  Then you don't have to put up with people looking like deer in the headlights and muttering something incomprehensible.  I would have liked to see more socratic method though.  I like a good roast and I am comfortable getting called on at random even if I am not fully prepared. 

Brisco

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 07:16:44 PM »

Is this really the case? Are you suggesting they're doing it on purpose? At my school grades are released pretty much at the same time for all years ..

At my school the 2L and 3L grades have been released while the 1L grades are not yet due. 1L grades are due to the registrars office on the last day that a student can request a tuition refund.