Law School Discussion

Notable alumni of lower-tier law schools?

kmpnj

• View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
Re: Notable alumni of lower-tier law schools?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2006, 12:20:49 PM »
Justice Robert Jackson, the chief prosecutor at Nuremburg, also attended Albany Law School.

Also, Senator Mike DeWine (R-OH) went to Ohio Northern

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2006, 02:37:10 PM »
Former Governor of Michigan John Engler (1991-2003), Thomas Cooley Law School, Class of '81...

and I think both Mayor Dalys of Chicago went to DePaul Law School

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2006, 06:21:01 PM »
The Great Cardozo went to law school at Columbia, but dropped out after 2 years.

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2006, 08:12:41 PM »
What's so great about Cardozo? (The Justice, not the school)

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2006, 08:38:40 PM »
"Benjamin Nathan Cardozo was a distinguished American jurist who is remembered not only for his landmark decisions on negligence but also his modesty, philosophy and writing style, which is considered exceptionally appealing and readable".

I like his Contracts opinions too.  The Allegheny College one was awesome.  That dude could write with a fluorish -- sometimes ridiculous, mostly very convincing and remarkable.

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2006, 08:54:24 PM »
George Deukmejian, California's Governor from 1983 - 1991 went to St. John's in New York.  He was also born and raised in NY, but managed to have a profound impact on California. 

Also, I think Cardozo's opinions are great, especially in torts.  I don't always agree, but they are well written and fun to read.

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2006, 01:30:36 AM »
"Benjamin Nathan Cardozo was a distinguished American jurist who is remembered not only for his landmark decisions on negligence but also his modesty, philosophy and writing style, which is considered exceptionally appealing and readable".

I like his Contracts opinions too.  The Allegheny College one was awesome.  That dude could write with a fluorish -- sometimes ridiculous, mostly very convincing and remarkable.

Cardozo's opinion are definitely fun to read. Of the ones I've had in my casebooks, he reaches the logical result about 20% of the time. For instance, in Duff-Gordon, he sprinkles magical fairy dust and creates contractual terms out of thin air. Cardozo is credited to some extent with helping destroy contract law as we knew it, mostly by putting his own sense of equity ahead of logic. If I am to read poorly decided, but well written opinions, I would prefer if they were written by, say, Steven Wright. He is far more amusing.

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2006, 11:43:04 PM »
Judge Greg Mathis - TV personality and Judge

TIER 4 University of Detroit Mercy  :D

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2006, 12:52:25 AM »
California Supreme Court Justice Ming Chin went to USF (San Francisco)

As did Kimberly Guilfoyle Newsom (legal analyst for CNN, MSNBC, Court TV and ABC News).

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2006, 07:26:43 PM »
Chuck Norris - Brooklyn School of Law (I'm seriously not kidding.  After he became a black belt he named his right leg "Law" and the left leg "Order"). 

Illinois is riddled with Tier 2 & Tier 3 grads. 

Mayor of Chicago male private part Dailey - DePaul Law School (failed bar 3 times)

Lisa Madigan, Illionis Attorney General - Loyola of Chicago Night Program

Senator Bob Dole - Washburn School of Law (Kansas)