Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Notable alumni of lower-tier law schools?  (Read 6103 times)

agntpn0y07

• View Profile
Re: Notable alumni of lower-tier law schools?
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 02:27:24 PM »
The question is, doesn't that suggest that law students and lawyers in that situation are just VERY insecure? Isn't it true that there are more of those than the law students and lawyers they are constantly trying to bring down to their level or invalidate as "no better than I?"
Yes, yes - thus is the nature of the legal field.  However, lower-tier law schools do produce notable ppl and for the "insecure" students out there it's good for them to have notable ppl to relate to.  Do you know of any notables to mention in this thread?  Please contribute!

Judith Sheindlin, also known as Judge Judy, New York Law School.

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 02:40:45 PM »
Warren Burger, Chief Justice SCOTUS - William Mitchell (was St. Paul School of Law at the time) in part-time program.

PotKettleBlack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 03:33:08 PM »
DePaul Law graduated both of the Mayor Daleys.

LibertyBell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 05:01:57 PM »
Let's discuss them.  Who are they?  Mike Easley, governor of NC is one.  He attended NC Central School of Law, a FTT.  :)

I think the state is a big factor.  In North Dakota, 80% of the lawyers in the state are from UND.  This translates into a situation where most of the North Dakota congressmen in DC are typically from UND (3T)...

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 05:12:18 PM »
The late Johnny Cochran--Loyola (LA I think)

agntpn0y07

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 05:12:53 PM »
I think the state is a big factor.  In North Dakota, 80% of the lawyers in the state are from UND.  This translates into a situation where most of the North Dakota congressmen in DC are typically from UND (3T)...
That's a good point.  Some states don't even have top-tier law schools.  :'(

In the case of Mike Easley, 70 some odd % of NC lawyers graduate from UNC-CH Law, which he was up against.  Then there's Duke and Wake Forest alum.  However, being a UNC-CH undergrad alum has obviously helped his political career. 

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 05:13:16 PM »
If this thread is trying to make a blanket assertion that SOME people from lower tier schools become noticeable, then by all means. Hey - some basketball players from CUNY Manhattan College go to the NBA. But with both cases, spectacular success is much rarer than at top tier schools, Harvard law, or UConn Basketball. So my question is - what is the point of this thread? To illustrate that some have won the lottery? It doesn't change the fact that when I go to a job fair at HLS, I see portraits of SCOTUS justices, and when I go to one at Suffolk, I see modern art.

agntpn0y07

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 05:19:08 PM »
If this thread is trying to make a blanket assertion that SOME people from lower tier schools become noticeable, then by all means. Hey - some basketball players from CUNY Manhattan College go to the NBA. But with both cases, spectacular success is much rarer than at top tier schools, Harvard law, or UConn Basketball. So my question is - what is the point of this thread? To illustrate that some have won the lottery? It doesn't change the fact that when I go to a job fair at HLS, I see portraits of SCOTUS justices, and when I go to one at Suffolk, I see modern art.
Won the lottery?  These ppl have worked equally hard as other notables but get recognition, which is why this thread exists.

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 05:22:19 PM »
Poor choice of words on my part - but only to an extent. The point is that talented people from lower tier school need more "luck" to succeed than someone with a T14 diploma.

agntpn0y07

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 05:31:48 PM »
Poor choice of words on my part - but only to an extent. The point is that talented people from lower tier school need more "luck" to succeed than someone with a T14 diploma.
No doubt, they better have something to compensate - ambition, specialization, networking skills, mentors / connections, great personality, well-kept appearance, whatever...