Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Notable alumni of lower-tier law schools?  (Read 6130 times)

agntpn0y07

• View Profile
Notable alumni of lower-tier law schools?
« on: January 18, 2006, 07:54:00 PM »
Let's discuss them.  Who are they?  Mike Easley, governor of NC is one.  He attended NC Central School of Law, a FTT.  :)

Perrin79

• View Profile
Re: Notable alumni of lower-tier law schools?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 08:13:13 PM »
Supreme Court Justice John Marshall Harlan (1955-71): New York Law School

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:23:19 PM »
Governor and former Attorney general Chris Gregoire of Washington went to Gonzaga law in Spokane

Bobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 08:43:02 PM »
Antonio Villaregosa, mayor of Los Angeles, went to People's college of the law.  It is not ABA accredited, and I am pretty sure that he failed the bar several times...

P.S. This is not a flame.

il Principe

• The Archon of Protocol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 10:52:39 PM »
Antonio Villaregosa, mayor of Los Angeles, went to People's college of the law.  It is not ABA accredited, and I am pretty sure that he failed the bar several times...

P.S. This is not a flame.

lol
"The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar" - Evelyn Waugh

shao2007

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 12:32:46 AM »
Ted Koppel went to New England School of Law

deebr23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 01:07:54 AM »
i would like to propose a provoking question - why do so many law students put so much effort into arguing that lsats, class ranks, and law school ranks do not matter.  Is everyone not at the top law schools, not at the top of the class, not at the top of the lsat, completely insecure.  are we putting too many insecure, and thus, annoyingly competitive people into and through law school? isn't it screwing up the bar communities.  seriously, it's annoying, and it is everywhere, since there are a lot more law students and lawyers at the bottom of those categories than at the top.

why can't law students handle accepting that they might not be the best? 

agntpn0y07

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 12:37:42 PM »
i would like to propose a provoking question - why do so many law students put so much effort into arguing that lsats, class ranks, and law school ranks do not matter.
Being at the top of those categories never hurt.  ;)

Btw, you speak of "the best?"  "The best" at what?  Studying?  Lawyering?  Politicing?  Serving?  Etc?   

Here're some provoking questions for you, you don't think someone from a lower-tier law school can become notable?  Are you trying to hijack my thread?

agntpn0y07

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 12:49:21 PM »
Mel Martinez, FSU College of Law, former Florida senator and director of US Dept of Housing and Urban Development during George W's first term.

deebr23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 01:46:58 PM »
No, I'm asking why so many law students and lawyers from lower tier schools (or middle, and even lower level of the top teir) are completely obsessd about how they stack up against everyone else.  It is remarkable how much effort those people will put into getting reassurance from everyone that rankings of school, class rank, and reputation don't matter.

The question is, doesn't that suggest that law students and lawyers in that situation are just VERY insecure? Isn't it true that there are more of those than the law students and lawyers they are constantly trying to bring down to their level or invalidate as "no better than I?"