Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Becoming an Assistant/Deputy District Attorney  (Read 1267 times)

Mimimimi

• View Profile
Becoming an Assistant/Deputy District Attorney
« on: January 18, 2006, 10:03:48 AM »
Anyone else thinking of trying to do this? 

It seems like most jurisdictions won't hire you until you've passed the bar.  How hard is it to get hired at that point?  I'd be worried about not lining up a job post-graduation and then getting dinged at the DA. 

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming an Assistant/Deputy District Attorney
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 10:51:24 AM »
I currently intern at the DA's office.  The steps you need to take at our office are unpaid/volunteer student clerk (where I am at currently), paid clerk, and then after you pass the bar, hopefully you are hired as an ADA.  They have a point system that can up your chances of getting hired.  For example, you get points for the total hours you intern there, some points if you have other legal experience, if you were in the armed forces, if you were employed in corporate america. The higher the # of points, the greater the possibility of being hired after you pass the bar. 

I think it comes down to like any other job.  For example, you put in the time at a firm and they like you. If you have more experience than the next guy, when you pass the bar, they hire you and not him.

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 11:03:45 AM »
Interesting, thanks.  So would you say it is to a student's advantage or disadvantage to have private firm employment during the 1L or 2L summer?

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 11:12:09 AM »
Any experience is better than no experience.  I don't think you are asking me this, but if you are asking if it's better for the sole purpose of getting into the firms you are interning at, of course. 

If you are asking if it will help with the DA's office, I'd say sure.  But I think it would be better to intern/extern at the DA's office than the private firm if the DA's office is ultimately where you want to end up. 

That's just my opinion. 

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 07:04:19 PM »
Yeah, I meant if it will help or hurt with the DA's office.  I guess what I worry about is getting into the criminal side of things and then finding out that I dislike it and not being able to do much else.  It seems like maybe you have more flexibility going corporate/civil --> criminal, but I could be wrong.  Like, I won't know if I ultimately want to work at the DA's office until I intern/extern there, but I don't want to get stuck there if I don't like it.

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »
I would suggest to then volunteer for 8-16 hours (or even less) a week during the fall or spring quarter.  Not for credit, so you can be flexible with school, but on a volunteer basis. You probably won't get big memos or anything due to your hours but you will get a feel for what the DA's office is all about.  Right now is a good time to do it in the Spring quarter. 

In the meantime, apply for your summer positions at your law firms and corp positions.  In the summer, go ahead and quit the DA's office (but not saying you are going to another job but like you have school stuff to take care of) and then do your summer job.  After summer, you would have been exposed to a little of everything and can make a better decision on your future. 

If you decide you like the DA's office, since you left on a good note, just call up your supervisor or mentor and ask to volunteer again or even do it for credit (60 hours=1 unit in one semester).     

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 11:19:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice Zemog- I appreciate it!